Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Killed a dog today.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Killed a dog today.

No, not a yote. Someone's dog ran across the road, and I ran over it. The dog ran across a 4 lane major roadway. It made it across 2 lanes, and I saw it, and then it darted right in front of my car. Thud, thud, thud. Dog was down.

I look back, and it's legs were failing around, like a deer that I just shot. Usually if I take a deer, and it just falls over, it's legs will fail around for a short while until it expires. That's exactly what happened.

The owner comes running out. People are stopping. I get out. 20 people are looking. Rush hour traffic, cars stopped all over. He loaded his dog into a pickup truck, and drove off to the vet. But I know the dog was already gone. It was too late.

I apologized to him, I felt terrible. But there was not much I could do. If I served out of the way, another car would have hit the dog, or there would have been a major accident.

I keep thinking I could have braked harder, but the ABS did engage. And if I braked harder through the ABS, maybe a car would have rear ended me.

He had other dogs in the yard, this one escaped, and he said he tried to call it back in, but the dog just kept on running. Actually 2 dogs escaped his yard, one stopped and went back when he called them.

It was some type of a medium size hound dog..... that never learned about cars.

I was just grateful I ran it over with the center of the car, and didn't squish it with a tire. That would have been much worse.

I still feel bad about the whole thing. The only other animals I ever killed was a skunk. a chipmunk, and a few deer.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry brother. That's hard. Don't beat yourself up.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear about that, it sucks and I feel bad every time I see a dog on the side of the road even if I didnt hit it. Knowing someone will eventually find their dog like that is tough.

Would like to say, you made the right choice not to swerve though. Have seen many people end up worse, hurting themselves and passengers by swerving to avoid something only to hit something else.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not much you could do and if the ABS took over at least it prevented property damage and people getting hurt. Had to have been a bummer though the way we all our hunters, but still cherish each and every animal.