Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Possible hunting dog?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Possible hunting dog?

Hey guys, I have a pound here who has a hound - mix which is 2 year's old and I was curious, Is it too old to learn to hunt?

And to wear shock colars?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

The dogs age is irrelevant really.

What would you do with an ecollar?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs
The dogs age is irrelevant really.

What would you do with an ecollar?
Teach her since its a her to be quiet during a hunt no barking, And only make her wear it during the hunts only.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Teach her since its a her to be quiet during a hunt no barking, And only make her wear it during the hunts only.
Huh??? I think someones been drinking LOL
Old 11-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

I kind of figured you would say that. You don't use an e-collar to teach a dog. You use it to reinforce commands they already know.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna say something and I really hope you understand it. Your new to hunting, you said so yourself, your handle is meant to show that. You ask plenty of questions and that is wise, but I have to say. You don't seem to listen to a lot of folks answering your questions. You want to do too much too soon. Learn the basics, learn the animals you want to persue. Really don't recomend getting a dog in hopes of training it when your still learning. Especially if you where intending to use a shock collar as a teaching aid. You don't fully understand the things you need to teach it, and a dog don't need to be shocked because you don't know what your doing.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 PM
GCJ
Spike

And just what will you plan to hunt using the dog? And to be quiet? Illegal to use dogs for deer hunting, in MI. But I'm sure you have already looked that up on Google, or even the Michigan Hunting Digest.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GCJ
And just what will you plan to hunt using the dog? And to be quiet? Illegal to use dogs for deer hunting, in MI. But I'm sure you have already looked that up on Google, or even the Michigan Hunting Digest.
I have and I know that, i will be doing more small game this spring and late summer again. So basically coons, rabbits, and so on.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Spike

I have and I know that, i will be doing more small game this spring and late summer again. So basically coons, rabbits, and so on.
Why not hunt small game NOW? I think you best consult the regs on this as hunting small game in the Spring/Summer months is illegal?

I'm pretty sure the small game season/dates is on par with ours.

As far as coon goes, Fall is the optimal time as the pelt is fuller.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Spike

Right now is the ultimate time of the year to hunt, no reason to procrastinate and talk about next year; get out there today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.