Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittany Training

Old 10-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Brittany Training

I have an 11 month old Brittany that is a birdy as it gets but I need some input on how to do a few things. This is my first shot at training a bird dog and it has been fun so far. Most of all he is my buddy and I enjoy being around him. Again he is very birdy and gets very vocal when he knows we are going to the woods. I am hoping to get this right more for him than me because I can see how much he loves to find birds!!

First, how do you keep them close? We hunt mostly partridge and he likes to get away from me and I have to call him back. without the ecollar he probably would keep right on going. He listens really well around the house and yard but when he gets to run he likes to run. He quarters well but with the thick cover and him being so far out there would be no way to get to him before the partridge bust.

Second, teaching "whoa". Around the house and yard he does well but out in the field on planted birds he wants to charge right in. I have him on a long lead and when he gets on a bird I have to pull him back. I tell him "whoa" and when he seems to be doing it I give a little slack then boom he is in on the bird and bust it. I have taken him out with pigeons trying to teach him "whoa" and hopefully to point soon!! What techniques do you use for field and home?

And third: How do you get them to have a soft mouth? He was so good the first time I played fetch with a live bird. He never killed it!! Now we have been doing it and sound conditioning him (no fear of the shot at all) but he has been crunching down on the bird and killing them. Looking for some techniques or tools you use for training.

Thanks for any tips and techniques you can give. Looking forward to hearing what you all do.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Look into a NAVHDA Chapter in your area.......they can help train you to train your own versatile pointing dog.

www.navhda.org

They have all your answers.

JW
Old 10-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

There are none in my area. I am in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan.

And I will get some pics up of him!!