Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
the best breed for squirrel hunting? >

the best breed for squirrel hunting?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

the best breed for squirrel hunting?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Spike

Default the best breed for squirrel hunting?

i am looking to get into squirrel hunting with dogs but have no idea where to start. i am looking for a breed that will stay treed but will follow a squirrel if it jumps trees. i have been told curs or feist are the way to go whats your opinion.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Spike

Curs and Feists are both great. Jagdterriers are a personal favorite of mine, they're great little squirrel hunting dogs.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Curs, and Fiest are the way to go. Like Jagd's my DD does a fair job as well. But I wouldn't mind a nice BMC in the future.

Good hunting!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Spike

Patterdales are real good too!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Spike

I do a god bit of squirrel hunting and i own a fiest squirrel dog he treed his first squirrel at nine months old he is ten months old right now and he treed 5 in less than 3 hours. My dog learns quick and came from apparently a good bloodline. A fiest makes a great companion they are hyper and very social my dog also hunts good with other dogs. When i say social that means he's not very aggressive he is a dog i wouldnt sneak up on but he will come straight up to u and hop on your leg to be petted. I would also recommend getting a gip instead of a male even though mine is a male. Ive noticed that gips usually hunt better. I did say usually.