Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
lab with mucus around eye. >

lab with mucus around eye.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

lab with mucus around eye.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default lab with mucus around eye.

I have an 11 mo old chocolate lab and have noticed of late that he has developed a yellowish/green mucus around his right eye. I saw it about 3 weeks ago after going out on a training run and just thought that he had picked up something and just cleaned his eye with a wet clean rag. Nothing for a few days. Then it happened again. I looked closer, nothing. No redness in eye, no folded over eyelash, no point of maybe something sticking his eye. I saw it again today when I fed him and let him out. He stays in an outside kennel area. Just curious what you guys think. Am planning on taking him to the vet next week if I can't get a fix here at home first.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

My walker had this happen a few weeks ago in both eyes. I kept wiping it out but it kept coming back. After a few days he started acting very lethargic and I could tell he was very sick. Wouldn't even get out of his dog house when I went to feed him. Had to hold the bowl in front of his face for him to eat.

I honestly thought he was about to die. I started injecting him with a cc of penicillin for 7 days. After the 5th day he was back up and acting normal. I gave him a small dose of b12 too. I went the cheap route though and it worked. Just didn't have the money for a vet bill.

Maybe he just has a cold or whatever. But if its just that one eye it could be something different and may cause more problems later on. Taking him to the vet would be your best bet
Old 09-04-2013, 04:48 AM
Spike

my walker had problem this spring his eyes he had a greenish color mucus in them that wouldnt go away my great granddad told me to put sugar is his eyes and might be hard to believe but it worked next day their wasnt anything coming out of his eyes and it didnt seem to hurt him when we done it either
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

With eyes go to the vet.......

JW
Old 09-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Spike

My pup had this a few times these past few months. After researching online i came to the conclusion it was either pollen from being out in the woods with me so i gave her a benydryll ad she was fine. I only gave her 25 mg. i think its 1mg/pound for dogs but double check that. I am fed up with vets had a few bad experiences in the past year with my pup. I have a really good friend who has been training labs for a long time and i consult him on any concern I have and research online. Most likley you will go to the vet and they will charge you big bucks for a benydryll shot. Unless you think its cherry eye or a damage i would try a benedryll and see how he does. If you go to the ver and they give em meds he will most likley never get over the allergie. If it is pollen and you only give him light benedryll he should be able to outgrow the allergy. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the posts. All replys considered and dually noted. I feel that it may be allergies for I have not seen it for several days now. I may try the benydryll once, if it occures again, and see what happens. If this does not take care of it in a day or so, to the vet we go. Thanks.