Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Deer indicators

Old 08-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer indicators

Hi guys,
I know in the states you guys do a lot of hunting from tree stands and that's pretty rare here in Aus. We mostly do what you guys call I think "still hunting" which in Aus is called stalking.
What's becoming popular here are deer indicator dogs which is limited to a few breeds. Up until last year they could only be used on Sambar but now we can use them on five of our six species.
Just wondering if anyone in the states uses them and what you think of them? I've got my name down for a german wirehaired pointer in the next litter of a breeder here.
cheers,
JP
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

Here in eastern Virginia, USA, hunting deer with dogs and hounds has been traditional since the earliest colonial days. The favored dogs are hound breeds but some use hound/cross dogs. I have never heard of a "deer indicator" dog. For us the dogs are usually hunted in packs of from 5 to 20 dogs that match well in speed and ability. Sometimes single or pair/couplet of dogs are used in small areas and these are often dogs that hunt silent and hunt "wind" and not cold trail, like Elkhounds and Mountain Cur and retriever/hound crosses, but open when the game is jumped or sighted.

Just exactly how does a "deer indicator" dog go about indicating deer? I don't mean to be a smart a55, but have never heard of it and have no idea how it is done.

And just what kind of deer do you have there? We have "Whitetail" of course and Sika are naturalized in some areas.

Thanks, 10 ga
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 10 ga
Here in eastern Virginia, USA, hunting deer with dogs and hounds has been traditional since the earliest colonial days. The favored dogs are hound breeds but some use hound/cross dogs. I have never heard of a "deer indicator" dog. For us the dogs are usually hunted in packs of from 5 to 20 dogs that match well in speed and ability. Sometimes single or pair/couplet of dogs are used in small areas and these are often dogs that hunt silent and hunt "wind" and not cold trail, like Elkhounds and Mountain Cur and retriever/hound crosses, but open when the game is jumped or sighted.

Just exactly how does a "deer indicator" dog go about indicating deer? I don't mean to be a smart a55, but have never heard of it and have no idea how it is done.

And just what kind of deer do you have there? We have "Whitetail" of course and Sika are naturalized in some areas.

Thanks, 10 ga
Hey mate,

Not taken badly at all, its the opposite side of the world so can't expect people to understand the rules and all that!

We have pretty stringent laws here and there are definitions on what breeds can do what. The way you talk about using dogs is known here as "Hound Hunting" and that has it's own licensing requirements and is completely separate from indicator breeds.
I don't hound hunt but they are allowed a maximum of 5 dogs I believe and they must be either blood hound or beagle although I think that they have brought in a new breed this year. Hound hunting can only be done on sambar here.

indicator dogs include breeds such as German wirehaired pointers, german shorthairs, vizsla's, weimaraners, brittany's and a few other related breeds. The idea is that they hunt along side you in the bush and you work into the wind giving your dog the best opportunity of scenting a deer. When they do they will point at the deer, similarly to how they do on birds and that is what we call "indicating" This hopefully allows you to get a look at the animal that is there before they are aware of you and if its the one you want to shoot it!

As I said they have been only allowed on sambar but now we can also use them on red deer and fallow deer. we are also allowed them on chital and rusa but there are no feral populations of them existing in Victoria these days (My state). We also have Hog deer but because they are endangered and they are strictly managed as is, it is illegal to use indicators on them.

I'm hoping to start up a guiding business in South Australia next year although all I have access to at the moment is deer behind wire. My goal is to train up a GWP and use it guiding so that I can guarantee success to clients as I wouldn't do it unless I thought I was going to be able to provide an opportunity for them.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Spike

I hunt in mississippi and there are a good many people here that use them..

The most popular "deer dog" down here is a Beagle. Like previously stated, they run them in packs of 10-20.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

OK, Understand "indicating" now. We would call that getting "gamey". Sounds neat. Our hounds are kinda varied. Lots of guys have their own packs and the "club" has hounds too. Currently the club has 30 dogs. They vary from beagles to big bluetick. Probably have about 10 of each size from small-medium-large. Lots of our members, 35, have their own dogs. Beagles are most favored but some have redbone hounds and others like the fast walker and june-july type. I had a nice pair of dogs but they were "tree" dogs for hunting racoon and opossum at night. In the area here the only rifles legal for deer are muzzleloaders. Otherwise it's shotguns and due to the dense brushland and swamps and close shots on running game buckshot is the rule. It is very deadly and effective at ranges to 70 yards. My 10 ga guns will drive 000 buck clean through a 200 lb buck at 70 yards. Mostly the muzzleloaders and shotgun slugs are used early in the season during rut and from the treestands. That is effective too. Best of luck in finding and training a good "indicator". 10 ga

Last edited by 10 ga; 08-13-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: periodic table
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I find it so interesting at how varying the laws are across different countries. In Victoria in Australia on about 6 months ago were we legally given permission to hunt with a shotgun although it has to comprise of a single slug. Then we have all our minimum calibres and projectile and broadhead weights, and minimum bow poundage.
The dogs are another interesting thing! I’ve found a breeder who my brother bought a pup from. The father was a $25,000 export from Germany as indicators are big over there too. So hoping that he can produce a good bitch pup for me too. I reckon it’ll be great on Sambar and hoping to use it for my outfitting service I’m trying to start up.