Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
chocolate lab loosing hair???? >

chocolate lab loosing hair????

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

chocolate lab loosing hair????

Old 07-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default chocolate lab loosing hair????

I have a 3 yo female chocolate lab. Last year during the summer she had a bald spot on her hind end that we were told was a hotspot, the hair eventually grew back in. This summer a spot started on her hind end but she has lost most of her hair on her belly, chest and between her hind legs. She is a house dog Along with a beagle who has no problems.

So, any of you go through this? Is it something other than hotspots? I have not seen fleas or anything on the 2 dogs.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2013, 05:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Can be one of two things and I'd go to a vet.

Can be caused by mites found normally in the skin or allergies.

If allergies one thing to try is changing dog food.

JW
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

You would think that if a person has a pet with a severe problem like that that they would have taken the animal to a Vet and not be asking cure questions out on the internet! FYI JW is not a Vet, but he has slept at a Holiday Inn Express! Sorry, the devil made me do it JW, LOL!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have your Vet run a 'full thyroid panel'.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You would think that if a person has a pet with a severe problem like that that they would have taken the animal to a Vet and not be asking cure questions out on the internet! FYI JW is not a Vet, but he has slept at a Holiday Inn Express! Sorry, the devil made me do it JW, LOL!
Just so we get on the same page.

I train and work at a kennel and I judge pointing dog tests.....so have seen a few.....

And at least I was trying to help.....

JW
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW
Just so we get on the same page.

I train and work at a kennel and I judge pointing dog tests.....so have seen a few.....

And at least I was trying to help.....

JW
***We're on the same page JW and I know you were trying to help! It was nothing against you and was a joke, hence the LOL, but it's rather strange that someone has a dog with what sounds to be a severe problem and he comes on the internet asking for solutions instead of paying a Vet that went to school for 6 years to try and diagnose and cure the problem. My DD was down and acting very sick after spitting up some food in late April on a weekend. Rather than wait or ask on the internet I immediately took him to a 24/7 emergency clinic. After a 24 hour stay and a $1500 bill he was diagnosed with pneumonia that was caused from aspirating some food into his lungs and the cause is what's called megaesophagus. It is very rare and from the two xrays taken his esophagus appears to be 3 to 4 times what it should be and can no longer take all the food down to his stomach properly. There is no cure and I had to decide whether to put him down or feed him in a sitting position and then keep him sitting for 20 minutes to let the food all go down by gravity. Since he's a very healthy 9 1/2, a great hunter, and my best buddy there really was no choice. My wife is very handy and made him a box at the Vet's suggestion that he goes in to eat and he's been doing fine ever since. The front is a padded door that I open, he backs in, and then I close it and he gets up on it to eat and rest his 20 minutes. As soon as I downsize a couple pictures to fit the website requirement I'll post them. The Vets at the clinic were so happy the way things turned out that they emailed me and said with my permission they wanted to write up the case and post it on Facebook. I don't do Facebook, but I told them to go right ahead if it could help others that may run into this, so Herc is going to be a star, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Did mention go to a vet.....and loosing hair is not life threatening...

Oh well..

Hey TG - I own one DD too .........aka Dumb Dog! Nice pamper job! Dang thing likes fur - that is the part of the German testing system I don't like. Other day I was working on the air conditioner and felt a presence next to me and was greeted with a happy dog sitting there patiently all happy with a dead coon in its' mouth. Here Dad looky what I did! She was so proud! And not a scratch on her.......I hate that. Always have. Had I witnessed it and had she been wearing the collar - it would have been trash training -curl her ears. To me its only a matter of time and she will tangle with a porky and I certainly don't need that. No reason to do that at all. She will get hurt. It will cost time and money to take care of the matter and worse yet - I loose precious hunting time.
The other is a true GWP - AKC ha!

JW
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Cool picture JW! That is the one thing I find very strange with the DD breeding. Hercules (Herc) is so docile he literally wouldn't hurt a flea, but when he goes into the hunting mode when I take him out he will kill anything furred other than another dog. He killed at least 10 woodchucks over at the Fairgrounds where I turn him loose every night while I do a security check of the buildings on the 150+ acres that's partially fenced and the rest is surrounded by the Kalamazoo River, so it's a great place to let him get his daily exercise. He's had a couple tangles and got nailed twice last year. One time he grabbed one wrong and it was able to turn it's head and bit him twice through one ear. He dropped it and let out a yelp, then dived right back in and grabbed it wrong again and got bit twice through the other ear. What a bloddy mess that was! Another time he took off around a building after what I thought was a squirrel and when I heard him yelping I ran around the corner and the biggest chuck I've ever seen had nailed him with a claw over the top of his head. He was going in after more and that chuck was laying on it's side with all four paws waiting for him with claws an inch long. I stopped him before he got hit again and that chuck rolled over and literally waddled off and went in his hole under a building. I'd bet he weighed 10-12 pounds, so it's no wonder Herc couldn't grab him good like he usually does. This year I shot a couple with my 22 Hornet soon after they came out this Spring and we've caught several in traps, but Herc has yet to get into any because he thinned the population down so much last year. I hope it stays that way because every time he grabs one I'm scared they'll take an eye out before he kills them.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-25-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
JW
Super Moderator

TG the DD is on the left drooping more off the couch than the other. Both are females.....thanks.

And I hear you about the fight. I have seen Bella light into coons more than once and I hate it.
I have a picture of a sewn ear after a coon fight and will post it once Flickr comes back on line.
Was a bleeder but then ears bleed a bit....simple stitch a bit of EMT gel and we where back at it in ND. I run 2 dogs as I can still walk the legs off 2 dogs in the course of a day.
JW

Ps sorry to shanghai your thread - still I would take your dog to the vet. Allergies are hard to diagnose.

JW

Last edited by JW; 07-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.