Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittany

Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Spike

Default Brittany

Hi all,
In australia we pretty much exclusively hunt by stalking and dont really do tree stands or hides and this year we have just had a new law introduced allowing us to have hunting dogs with us.
I was thinking of getting a german wirehaired or shorthaired pointer but the missus wasnt overly keen on it so I've settled with a brittany.
I dont really know if you guys use indicator dogs but if so does anyone know what the brittany's are like for it? I'm looking for a dog that can hold a point, has a good nose, isnt gun shy and will stay close to me. Am I in the right direction with a brittany or should I keep looking? I realise they are mostly a bird dog but reckon I could turn one on to deer.

Cheers,

SB
Old 03-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a good deer hound, go with the walker. We hunted with them for years, and they are great on deer and bear. I realize that you have no bear there. Game warden buddy has the brittany, great for ducks and birds, but she never bothers the deer.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

A brittany was one of the best dogs I ever had............good for hunting birds.

I now have a Ridgeback & a GSP.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-14-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

I personally would go with the German Wirehair / Drahthaar. If you want one dog that does it all.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Spike

RG - Haven't really heard of them. We don't have anything that's going to try to eat a dog here which is good, although because we have no predators we have a huge amount of snakes in the spring and summer which is a concern, i guess it doesnt matter what breed you have then.

Sheridan - I've heard most people who have owned one say that they're the best dog that they've ever owned. I thought about GSP but ive heard they're very whiney and get cold easily which put me off a bit. I had a ridgeback cross and she was probably my favourite dog since I was a kid but she died young which was shattering. Such loyal dogs!

Ed - Thats an uphill battle I was never going to win with the missus. I was deadset on it but she just wouldnt have a bar of it! ha
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sako,

This dog I got when my Brittany was already hunting well. Out performed her, first time out.................... I was amazed !!!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caralinadog.htm

This my friend has been the best dog I have ever owned - we'll need to put her down soon.....................

Impervious to all weather conditions !
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Spike

Walker hounds are the way to go from what I've heard.