Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Neuter/Spay Impact on Health >

Neuter/Spay Impact on Health

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Neuter/Spay Impact on Health

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb Neuter/Spay Impact on Health

A study from UC Davis
News Release Click here : http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...lasso?id=10498
Abstract of the actual article Click here : http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0055937

Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Saw this on another forum, and ill write what I wrote there. Id like to see what people say here.

The samples were taken from vet visits. How many of you actually take your dogs to the vet?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well is to a specific breed to which has a high occurance of Hip-dysplasia too.

Quote - From the article. “It is important to remember, however, that because different dog breeds have different vulnerabilities to various diseases, the effects of early and late neutering also may vary from breed to breed,” End quote

And to that I ahve neutered/spayed a few. More so as they had traits which should not have been passed on. Others I let alone and prefer to do that. However, the dang city I live in charges me more for not nueteriing/spaying and each year I ask the clerk is she was spayed before her marriage license!

Now to answer the other question - I make yearly vet visits - ever year.

DAve...JW
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Spike

I had my first two labs neutered at six months on the advice of our vet, and neither dog had hip problems in old age. When we moved down here and got pups our vet at the time recommended waiting longer. He was a gun dog guy and I trusted his advice (unfortunately he moved out of state) more than our current vet who recommends what I consider very early neutering. The current trio of labs weren't neutered until at least three years of age.

I wouldn't bother to do it at all except that we're not breeders and we pay a steep premium to license un-neutered dogs in this county.