Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Water Dog Paw Pad Cuts

Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Water Dog Paw Pad Cuts

A year or so ago the main lake in our area picked up zebra muscles. I took my dog out around the beginning of last season and she got a pretty nasty cut just at the edge of her paw pad and toe. I was wondering if there was a product out there that would protect my dog from getting cut on these zebra muscles while still allowing her the ability to swim unhindered also any other solutions or ideas would be welcome.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Spike

Neoprene dog boots, have him wear them in the house until he gets used to it.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by outdoorsman110
Neoprene dog boots, have him wear them in the house until he gets used to it.
I thought about having her wear these, however I think it might slow her down in the water or maybe even stop her in the water... specially if she has a big duck or goose that she is bringing in. I. actually doing up a couple of
designs to try and manufacture a dog boot for water dogs.

added 10/01/2012
I completed a few designs and contacted a company called Ultra Paws about them. They are very interested and have actually asked me to send them what I have drawn up. I'm hoping this will help hunters out there who's pups have to both swim and wade in water where hazards might be present. I talked to a few local duck hunters that are very interested in something like this. so, keep an eye out. Hopefully one day they will be on the market.

Last edited by skiftcky; 10-01-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added design info