Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Puppy training advice wanted >

Puppy training advice wanted

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Puppy training advice wanted

Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Spike

Question Puppy training advice wanted

I have a lab puppy almost 4 months old. She does not have a very strong drive to retrieve yet or be in the water is this normal? Any advice to fix this? Thank you
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Spike

I have done obediance as far as sit stay come and heal. Shes retrieves but not very often and is nearly impossible to motivate her to retrieve when she is not in the mood for it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Between 6-9 months you might want to get her force fetched...
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get on a modern, sequential training program. Personally, I like the Smartwork series by Evan Graham at www.rushcreekpress.com/
Quit "shooting from the hip".

Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Spike

Thanks guys
Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DUMB BASS
Between 6-9 months you might want to get her force fetched...

While you can start FF as soon as the permanent teeth are in. This may be a little young for this level of pressure. There are plenty of other things to work on the first year.

ATB
Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Spike

You have to make it fun for the puppy and that is exactly what it is. A puppy. Fun, fun,fun. Play a lot. To young to expect much and yes it is to young to force fetch.
To much pressure, can ruin your dog right now. It does not have a clue what you expect.
Maybe the drive part will pick up.
I personally believe in taking pup to a reputable trainer for at least 3 months. This will get his obideance training and well on the way with basics. Just depends on what you want.
Even with a trainer the dog may only get 20min. per day of actuall training after airing. Don't over do it. Make the pup want more. Always praise the puppy.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dickera
I have a lab puppy almost 4 months old. She does not have a very strong drive to retrieve yet or be in the water is this normal? Any advice to fix this? Thank you
wrap a steak around your bumper and take pup to water.use plastic tiebands to hold steak on.
throw bumper in yard first then to water.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 AM
Spike

Smile new member

hi..guys i am new here and thanking you people for this thread...actually I was facing almost the same..glad to be here...
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Spike

I do agree that puppy learns quickly what you train them. But some puppies are scared of water. They learn slowly to retrieve their energy in the water may be they are undergoing some kinda of problem. You may also take the help of tutorials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.