Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Golden Retriever as a coon hunter? >

Golden Retriever as a coon hunter?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Golden Retriever as a coon hunter?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Spike

Default Golden Retriever as a coon hunter?

I have a retriever who is in training for pheasant/upland bird hunting, and I'm wondering if she could be trained to coon hunt? She's treed squirrels and coons before, but never have I heard her really bay. She'll bark and growl, but not very loud. I would like to get a walker to hunt with, but we really don't have the money right now. Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Spike

Yes suggestion. i wouldnt coon her if shes already gonna bet a multi. but ill speak for hounds. Walkers are good dogs. Ive coon hunted with alot of dogs. walkers, lots of bluetics, plotts, black and tans, english, and even some curs majestics and leopards. but ive always came back to my trusty redbones. ive got a few redbones and ill say they are the best. Period. get a redbone. if not a redbone and english. if it werent for the pedigree i have going now id breed a red bitch to an english to benefit the cross. i love english redticks but i still think redbones are the best.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TheRedYote
I have a retriever who is in training for pheasant/upland bird hunting,
Stick with your first intentions for yer retriever.

Get a hound if you want to do hound type huntin.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by AP HD_Jake
Yes suggestion. i wouldnt coon her if shes already gonna bet a multi. but ill speak for hounds. Walkers are good dogs. Ive coon hunted with alot of dogs. walkers, lots of bluetics, plotts, black and tans, english, and even some curs majestics and leopards. but ive always came back to my trusty redbones. ive got a few redbones and ill say they are the best. Period. get a redbone. if not a redbone and english. if it werent for the pedigree i have going now id breed a red bitch to an english to benefit the cross. i love english redticks but i still think redbones are the best.
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking, din't want to addany confusion.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Spike

I personally have never heard of a Golden Retriever who was a "coon dog" and if you're training your Golden Retriever for pheasant/upland bird, stick with it. If you're wanting to hunt coons, it's best to get a good coon dog.