Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Chicken jerky

Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Chicken jerky

I've been feeding this stuff from Costco to my dog for years but recently there's been some dogs having health issues due to them. Most chain stores, including Costco, only carry made in China ones. I have since stopped buying them. I have been looking for one made in the US but the prices on these are incredibly high compared to Costco Chinese brand. Costco: 48oz for $16, US brand (local store carries Carlson Morgan): 6 oz for $10 (or $80 for Chinese equivalent). US brand cost 5x more.

So, I've been trying to make my own treats with hind quarters bought from a local big chain grocer. I first baked them then sliced and dried them (trying) on a dehydrator and oven. This is human grade chicken and the amount of oil dripping off this stuff is incredible. Baking four hind quarters left me with 1/2 cup of oil. While trying to dry it, I probably poured an 1/8 cup out of the pan. The bottom of my dehydrator is swimming with oil. And we eat this stuff?

Free range stuff is going to cost me as much as the US brand. Ofcourse, I could use the frozen pheasants from Oct & Nov 2011 season...
Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

We use Pig Ears --- made in USA

Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Spike

There are definitely other brands of dog chews out there. Have you looked into True Chew, Merrick or Kona's Chips for bones and chews?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

I settled on the brand a local pet store carries. Made in the US for $12 for 14 oz. The owner can't keep them on the shelves since the Chinese jerky recall. Everyone locally are buying them like crazy. My dog is going through withdrawals.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hope all turns out well.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Spike

I would also recommend trying pig ears. My dogs love them. They should be pretty easy to find.