Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Train a Rescued 5 yr old black lab to tree squirrels >

Train a Rescued 5 yr old black lab to tree squirrels

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Train a Rescued 5 yr old black lab to tree squirrels

Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Spike

Default Train a Rescued 5 yr old black lab to tree squirrels

I adopted a 5 yr old lab from the local humane society about 3 months ago and have recently been turned on to squirrel hunting.

She needs some exercise and love to have some off leash time, so i figured this may be a good way to put her to work as well as give her what she needs.

My question is, whats the best way to teach her to tree a squirrel correctly? I have yet to let her off her leash to chase after a squirrel, but judging by her interest and her pulling, i can tell that she will give chase if allowed to.

Most of the info i have found on the internet are all about puppy training and sorting through it all is becoming a major task.

I also prefer air rifles for squirrel hunting so being gun shy really isnt an issue.

Just wondering if anyone has tips on teaching correct behavior. Not expecting a world class hunter, just someone to keep me some company and allow her to get some exercise in.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Spike

Default New Tew

I am also fairly new to squirrel hunting. Especially with a dog. I have two black mouth cur pups, one of which I would like to train to tree. I think one of the first things you can do is get a squirrel tail and see how interested the dog is in the scent. I am sure he will be interested. I let my pups play with the squirrel tail a little.

Then I have started laying trails with the scent of live squirrels or hides. You can hang a live squirrel or hide in a tree. See how he reacts. I am new so this is also trial and error! I have heard you don't want to show them too many hides and live squirrels put up in trees or they will slick tree, treeing where there is no squirrel.

I would say get them interested enough in the one type of game and then just go from there. Set up a few man made situations and then see where it goes from there. Get out in the woods a lot.

Also, check out the chat room at sqdog.com.