Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Introducing New Dog to our Dog any tips on making it smooth? >

Introducing New Dog to our Dog any tips on making it smooth?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Introducing New Dog to our Dog any tips on making it smooth?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Introducing New Dog to our Dog any tips on making it smooth?

I have a 2 year old Yellow lab female that has been in my home since she was weened... She is my hunting dog but Im not one to keep her penned up outside and she has run of the house, specially in these triple digit days of summer.
I just picked up a female chocolate lab that is 4 years old and I only have limited information on her. She shows food agression to my dog and tryed to nip at her in the first hour of having her in the house. Im sure that the new dog is not mean or mistreated but a bit defensive in her new surroundings.
Any one out there that can give me some input on acclimatizing these two pups is more than welcome to shoot me a post.
Thanks ahead of time
John
Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

I'd recommend watching some "Dog Whisperer" episodes. There's some good stuff in there. One thing I always have made sure to do is I make sure the dogs know I'm in charge and that there is no "pecking order".
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

feed the chocolate in a crate or in another room, she will eventually learn her food is her food and she does not need to protect it. being in new surroundings will make her a little tense the first few days, when you see her start to body tense up correct her, she will figure it out in no time....you want to try to correct them before the event happens rather than during or after, so that means pay attention to her body language and correct her when she thinks about it rather than when she acts out.