Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Thumbsized Lump

Old 06-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Thumbsized Lump

I took Midas (my 3.5 yr old Black Lab/Golden retriever) to the vet several days ago. He had a lump in his right ear. I figured he had been bitten by some bug, but the vet said it is a Hematoma (Busted blood capillaries) in his ear, due to shaking his head because of an ear infection. He said it was small enough, that with treatment for the ear infection, to stop the head shaking, it should reabsorb itself. The thing is, that when I use the flush in his ear, it causes him to shake his head more trying to get it out. Sometimes it may require surgery on the hematoma. But the vet didn't think we should go that route. Unless of course that is what I wanted to do.

LOL the wife says the vet is a quack. She has had dogs all her life and never heard of it. I told her to google it and she'd find endless reports about it.

Anything that causes discomfort in the dogs/(any animal) ear can cause it to shake its head and cause this. Yeast infection or ear mites etc. It is good practice to use an oti clens to flush your pets ears or a weekly basis to prevent this from happening. The one I am using is a medicated mix to help with the infection, but the over the counter version is readily available to flush their ears.
Attached Thumbnails Thumbsized Lump-100_3370.jpg  

Last edited by deerdust; 06-17-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Spike

Sounds like what I've heard called "pillow ear"? Find a vet clinic that specializes in livestock but will work on small animals as well and when this occurred on a co-workers dog they just would bleed it for much 2% of the price and just as effective as surgery. I believe it may be something that your dog could get repeatedly. I could be wrong and hopefully its just a splinter or swelling from something.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have seen this is a few dogs and one I owned. It never returned and yes did go down. As a general routine I am always looking in and at ears. Ears with yeast infections will smell fowl and is easy to identify. Caught quickly it can be taken care of just as quick.

Both my dogs and even those I visit I routinely check ears, eyes, teeth, and my hands will run down and throught the animals coat. Best way for me to find ticks.

But that is me.

JW