Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
what dont you like about your all around hunting dog? >

what dont you like about your all around hunting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

what dont you like about your all around hunting dog?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what dont you like about your all around hunting dog?

thought this would be good info too. i like LABS, small ones for hunting and home etc.
tobys only shortfall is heavy coats on labs seem to overheat them and cause your hunt to end sooner than you would like.

we all have our favorite hunting dog.what are shortfall with your dog ?i think this is great topic for others to read if they are interested in a hunting dog.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

two things: first, my dog isnt a natural retriever. She was retrieving but lately hasn't cared. She usually picks up the bird and I call her to me. But last season we shot enough birds that once she made sure they were dead ran off to find more. Its not terribly important but when shooting across waterways, I have to find someone with retriever.

Second. When she hears a pheasant calling, she will take off after it despite anything I do except using the ecollar.

Edit: a third about dogs in general. The need to run in front of any machinery driven by an internal combustion engine.

Last Thursday, I had turn into a road and started to accellerate (I drive a stick and am pretty easy on it so I don't accellerate that quickly). It was dark and raining. The road was dark, no streetlights and on the rightside is a wooded area. I was accelerating to 35mph (going about 30mph) when suddenly, an outline of a dogs head sprung up over my hood. If a dogs walking on the roadway, I slam on my brakes minimizing impact. If walking next to roadway, I quickly slow down. But, this case, absolutely no time to react, the dog decided to cross in front of me. It had mostly dark fur.

I stopped and got out of my car in time to see the dog half picked itself up and wander to the other side of the street only to be hit twice again. Called 911 and few of us waited for the police. After about 30 mins everyone left except me. When an officer finally came a few minutes later, I explained what happened.

The dog had a collar and a bit of broken chain. No tags or name. It died while waiting for the police. A very unsettling moment and I've been pretty upset since then.

To top this off, I'm frustrated with my dog. While trimming her fur between her paws, I accidently cut (1/4" cut) her on top of her knuckle. I quickly made a butterfly bandage made a little boot out of a cut sock. Wound heals okay after about three days so I take bandage off. I take her out to dog park, she breaks it open. Antibactiral wipes, cordisone spray and another bandage w/sock. Three more days. Heals over well. Take her out for a simple walk, fine wound still closed. That night while I'm asleep, she licks it open. More wipes, spray and bandage. Wound doesn't look infected. Three more days wound heals. She doesn't touch it during the day but last night, the moment I fell asleep, she starts licking again. Now, it looks infected. Another $300+ month.

This is becoming too routine. Vet knows her way too well. Lately, somethings been happening to her on a monthly basis. Not good for someone on a fixed income.

Last edited by Mite; 01-25-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

The only things I don't like is...
Vet bills as mentioned above
And
Constant shoveling up of crap in the backyard.
Other than that not one thing I am unhappy about.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

vet bills is why i did not get another dog. i wanted a english setter to hunt with toby but vet bills are unreal.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Spike

I bought a really nice Golden Retiever about a year and a half ago and she works really well, BUT!!! she is gun shy

Ron
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 3yr old female Beagle/Foxhound/Shepherd/"something" mix that is a really great, do anything, go anywhere, type of hunting dog.

The only problem I have had with her is, IF we end up jumping a deer when we're out rabbit hunting or squirrel hunting, she will just flat out, take off after it!! I mean, she'll chase that deer so far, she'll be in the next county by nightfall!

She did this twice on me this season, and scared the crap out of me! She's a family pet and a hunting dog. My wife and daughters were pi$$ed at me for taking her out hunting. They want to keep her as a basic house dog. I want to take her out hunting with me and let her instincts take over. She's an excellent squirrel and rabbit dog and is not gun shy. From what I read, I just need to buy one of those shock collar things, so when she decides to chase after a deer, I'll give her a little zap and teach her "NO!"
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Spike

All three are steady on point and to shoot until I release either all or one and retrieve to hand. They are used to hunt together and back each other and any other dog that enters the mix. Come when called by their name or all three on come or here.

But they love water. My vehicles are not only full of dog hair, weeds, seed, stickers even cactus but mud and more mud.

All three love to roll around in the big horse barrels and soak the water up, roll in the dirt for good measurement, wander thro the doogie doors and dry off on my bed since they have a big towel on it.

Normally they stay outside during the day but Missy has pups and they are residing in the far corner of the dinning room.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Springer is 8 years old and is still intact. He's a great hunter who is absolutely relentless. I love just watching him do what he was bred for.

That being said, since he is till intact, I ALWAYS have to watch out when he meets other dogs afield.
If they are females or neutered males, there is never a problem. However when he meets another intact male, fireworks can happen. Plus the fact that my Springer is a dominant male who has never, ever backed down when challenged. He can get his azz kicked but he won't back down. I do know that most other hunters that have intact males are also watchful for their dogs when they come across the same situation.

Outside of that, I would change nothing.