Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
What do you think is the all around best sporting dog? >

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you think is the all around best sporting dog?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

In my 67 years, I have owned just about everykind and now have the best dog I have ever had. Jeager is a blue weimaraner. If I could change anything about him would be to take a little size from him.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Snooky
In my 67 years, I have owned just about everykind and now have the best dog I have ever had. Jeager is a blue weimaraner. If I could change anything about him would be to take a little size from him.
what makes him best?thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned

What makes Jeager the best? Simple, he is mine.
Everyone has their idea of the perfect dog. The requirements are so vast and varied that some cull my best, and desire my worst.
I like his intelligents, very quick learning ability, and extreme desire to please me. Tons of natural ability and desire to be in the field hunting. Doves, quail, chuckar, waterfowl or fur. With proper training, I would not hesitate to put him down with any dog and not be ashamed. I owned the 79 Nat'l Derby Champ, R/U Nat'l Field Ch. Dressels Haus Von Ruf Traid, not in the same class with Jeager. I have had pointers, Britts, Gsp, Gwp, Springers, ect. but none that I would trade him for. Most of all, he is my buddy and my shadow.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Spike

My brittanys, Bullet, Dot and Missy.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

For water retrieves, flushing and a dog that'll put her heart into working and finding the tough dug in birds I have to say the yellow labs I've had have been the best all around dogs I've owned and hunted with. The've been good to train and work with in the field.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default all around best sporting dog

Originally Posted by honeysmith
Only dogs from the sporting group...like spaniels, pointers, setters, and retrievers.

Grade them on upland hunting, waterfowl hunting, retrieving skills, and how much they love their owners.

I personally love weims particularly blue weims which is why i own one.
It definitly has to be either be Fido or Scooby Doo.
Can't beat em!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
English Springer Spaniel. English blood lines.
IMO
I also agree!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Labs. They are the most versatile dog.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Golden Retrievers, Goldens are smart, loyal and great with people. My youngest golden has a better nose and is smarter than the older golden. The older golden is the most gently dog I have ever been around.

I would not say that golden retrievers are the best bird dogs.
I would say that goldens retrieves are the best family dogs, that you can also hunt birds with.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Since I don't bird hunt..at all. I am going to say my Catahoula. He blood trails, hunts hogs, and is great with cattle. He shies away from strangers so I don't have to worry about anybody trying to take off with him. He is a great guard dog, keeps peoples hands out of my truck (that was a fun day) and stops people in the drive way and at the sidewalk without being overly aggressive. He isn't too big, only 65 lbs, can run all day long, doesn't eat too much, and perfectly content to ride around in the truck with me when we ain't hunting. The only downside is is that he has a double coat so he sheds a lot and his dog food is flippin expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.