Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

bloodhound help

Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default bloodhound help

I have always wanted a bloodhound and I want a good tracking dog to track wounded deer and rabbits. I was wondering if anyone had one and could tell me what kind of hunting they are the best at. Im also going to have a kid somday so I wanted to know if they are good with kids. I have a britt right now so also are they good with other dogs. And are they good house dogs because it will be a house dog.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Hey there.

Hounds are usually good with kids. The only problem I see with hounds in the house is most of them slobber. Also, a hound's hunting ability is best suited for anything regarding scent. Coons, Possum, wounded animals. They might do alright as a rabbit dog. I can't say for bloodhounds specifically b/c I haven't spent much time around 'em. Kinda rare where I'm from. Most people around my house have blueticks, walkers, or black & tans

Happy hunting!

Last edited by Seif5034; 12-22-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Spike

ok thanks! When I living in Michigan my friends had black and tans and redbones. Bloodhounds where rare there and I havnt seen any out here in Colorado eather. I just want a good tracking dog to track wounded deer and all the other things. But most of all I just want a good bud that is good with kids.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

We have one but he is trained in tracking people. They are a fantastic dog and love kids and about everybody else. Ours has a great personality and gets along well with other pets.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Spike

ok good thanks. how old of tracks can they follow?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you decide to try a different breed for blood trailing deer, do not overlook a Dachshund. I have used Dachshunds to blood trail now for well over 2 decades with excellent success in ease of training and great results in the field.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Spike

yeah i am looking at a few hound types. I want a good tracking dog. my friend uses a basset hound to track but they are lasy as hell lol. and i herd bloods can go for miles and miles. I dont know if that truck or not but i wana give it a try.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 AM
Spike

Only dog that can't smell there own scent. Can never be let off leash for this reason because they can't find there way back. Very loving dogs but very distructive. Can't be left home alone or you might not have furniture left. Goober all over everything in the house. Certainly not a dog for everyone. Please, please do lots of research before you even think of getting one. You will have to get a few step ladders for inside your house and lots of top shelfs.

Last edited by wheelie; 12-27-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on several things on how old the track is and there is plenty of contraversy on this but I know for a fact we had a dog follow a 3 day old track.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Well ya learn or hear new things everyday .? Our bloodhound is used on lead for the fact he will not stop once on a track and nothing to do with how he smells his own scent. I would trust this dog in anybodys house if they are home or not same as my English Setters yet my friend has a Setter I wouldn't trust outside let alone inside. lol
It comes down to training in that respect yup they do slobber and I would read up on them but as far as the rest - mere speculation and opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.