Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Waterdogs oil sheen on coat. >

Waterdogs oil sheen on coat.

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Waterdogs oil sheen on coat.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Waterdogs oil sheen on coat.

I bought a yellow lab from a reputable breeder. She doesn't seem to shed water like other labs Ive seen. I inspected her closely and she has both her upper and inner coats. However I take her out and she still shivers even in 40 degree weather. I bought her a neoprene vest and she still shivers. She will not stay out of the water and retrieves like a master but all the whole time lookin miserable and shivering. I did notice that she soaks all the way to the skin despite her dual layers. Some one told me to coat her down with baby oil before a hunt but I don't want to do anything to my dog to hurt her. Any suggeestions?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

I take it your dog is an inside dog?
The best thing I did was when the weather turns cool, is I put my dog in his outside kennel for 4-6 hours a day. that helped a bunch
Oh one more thing, excessive bathing with cause the coat issue also
Old 11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Give her one egg a day, sunny side up. The oil will help her coat.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Fork Horn

Actually she stays outside 90 percent of the time. She only comes in below 20 degrees and above 90 degrees.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:37 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Dogs naturaly shiver ~ your dogs coat is just as it should be and feeding a reputable brand dog food is all one needs to do.
Applying baby oil, or adding suppliments to food is not the thing to do. Talk to your vet.

JW
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

so how do I know when it becomes too much shivering? I didn't hunt my last dog when it got below 20 degrees but he was a fuller haired black lab. I want to be able to take my dog out this year but I refuse to over expose her to elements.

Also, she is fed Pedigree dry with 1/2 can of pedigree wet. I heard this was the best food for the money.

Last edited by skiftcky; 11-14-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added dog food info
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.icelandpure.com/salmon_oil_info.htm
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure if this is even close to the problem but are you sure its the cold thats making him shiver? I have border collies for working dogs and I have two that will work in any weather possible, no problem. When its time to work certain sites though and they get super focused, they'll just sit there, focus and shake. It looks like they're shivering but they are getting so amped and ready for their command to go to work, they shake. Just a thought, good luck
Old 11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Spike

I have a Lab and a Springer, and feed them both Precision brand food. Their coats have a really nice shine to both of them, and I have to think it is because of the food, being they are different breeds. Not sure if it will help you but I think the shiney look must be from a bit of oil.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

thanks all, Im gonna try a few different approaches you all posted and see what works best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.