Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab chewing himself.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default Lab chewing himself.

My Lab is scratching and chewing sores on all parts of his body. I've taken him to the Vet. and tried everything. The only thing that will stop his chewing has been prenisone (probably spelled wrong), but the Vet. says he can only take it for 30 days because if taken longer it causes liver problems. I gave him the pills for 30 days and after that he started scratching and chewing again constantly.

I read on another web forum of some of the following that might help: sulfadine oil, Nu-Stock, Seargents Vetscription Benadine Hot spot remedy, Vetrycian, and even Gold Bond. I haven't heard of most of these, do any you know if these will work or can you please make a suggestion.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try Vetericyn -- amazing stuff.

It could be that allergies have developed (food, environmental etc)
Also have your Vet do a complete Thyroid panel.

Last edited by Doc E; 09-01-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

my poor buddy dawg was bitin his rump so bad fer years cause of fleas.....seems he was allergic to there saliva ...
we would put the drops on his neck, bathe him in flea and tick shampoo....flea collars..powder...you name it...this went on fer years....
then i found comfortis...prolly spelled wrong too 8>)
it last for a month, and a 6 month supply is $100....
now his hair is growing back in...and because he isnt chewing all night long...well it seems we have our dog back. i thought he was gettin old, but now he is playing again..like a puppy...love it..thx comfortis..
this stuff starts killin fleas and ticks on the dog inside of 30 minutes. awesome stuff...gl
Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Predisone is a steroid for surpressing the immune system. I find it strange that your vet said it would effect the liver. But it isn't a medication to be given lightly. One of the many side-effects is bone loss or osteoporosis and its usually given gradually, ie. a few milligrams the first day then adding a few more the next. Also, sudden withdrawl will effect the dog in strange ways (I use to take it as I have an autoimmune disease).

But DocE is correct, your dog have or has developed allergies. Here is an article:
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medica...allergies.html
Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I would get him checked for allergies.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

My wife is a vet tech, and she sais try benedryl, that will work for alergies. Over the counter it comes in 25 mg, 2-3 pills twice a day for a 70 pound lab.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Spike

Rub him down in baby oil
Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

Did you recently changed the dog's shampoo? Normal shampoo has a too high ph level and will dry out a dog's skin. Use shampoo made specifically for dogs. There are medicated dog shampoo(Vibrac Allermyl) that contain oatmeal which may help.

Last edited by Mite; 09-07-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default lab

Thanks for the info. The Vet. has tried everything, we've changed his food, medicine, you name it, nothing seems to help. Will keep trying to help him, it breaks my heart to see him so miserable. I haven't tried the vetericyn, but definately will.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 09-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mite
Did you recently changed the dog's shampoo? Normal shampoo has a too high ph level and will dry out a dog's skin. Use shampoo made specifically for dogs. There are medicated dog shampoo(Vibrac Allermyl) that contain oatmeal which may help.
I was thinking along the same lines as mite. Chlorine will cause a problem with the skin and make it itch/ this happened to my dog. also pet shampoo can cause the same symtoms. The first thing to do is keep a log os whatthe dog is subjected to and diccontinue.

Good luck!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.