Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rattlesnake bites

Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Rattlesnake bites

my good friend lost his lab do to snake bite here in pa.dog was at camp and found snake. snake bit him on top of the back of neck.
his head got very big and he died.
toby was bit 3 times ,2 times in throat but 2 were black snakes and 1 was water snake.rattler last month he was close but STANDED his ground and did not get any closer.
i just talked to local doctor at the emergency room .we live in the boonies so getting to vet is longtime.

they have snake venom and said they could give toby it if needed.
reason i started this post is how many times do we not even think of this and if it happened, WHERE DO WE GO AND HOW MUCH TIME DO WE HAVE.
so, i talked to hospital and they can do it for me. maybe you should do a mock snakebite and have something set-up to where you can go quick.
when toby got bit the vets were all not available,it was holiday weekend at 9 pm sat night, no one around.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

That is one thing that worries me also.I always have my dog in cotton mouth infested swamps.It is at least a 20 min ride to the house on ATV and another 35 to the nearest vet.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 AM
JW
Super Moderator

One method is to Snake -Break training and that is done with an e-collar and a live snake - any snake will do.

Collar setting is at high and nothing or no command is given other than pushing a button when the dog shows interest on its own.

Google the title as there is alot of information out there on How to

JW
Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Had to call my female GSP off a rattler 2 weeks ago. I was riding my mtn bike while they ran out the dirt road leading throught the SGL's. She locked up on point and I saw the grass along side the road moving. Next thing I heard rattling and just about freaked out, thought she was gonna get it. Don't take them up there anymore till it gets colder. 2 Guys were riding bike up there just before dark and claimed they had to keep lifting their feet because there were snakes all over the place on that road.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

TOBY IS NOT GOING NEAR WOODS UNTIL OCT and early in morning .i ride motorcycle and had to lift my feet a few times because of coiled rattlers in road.

sad on jacks lab dieing. i think he did not know dog got bit until next day when his head was big etc.toby got bit 3 times .2 were in throat and right in my yard.i said, SPROUL WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT HITTING TOBYS THROAT.
did not dawn on me it was snake until second strike.
boy i was in shock.was not ready for that........
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by garett12
That is one thing that worries me also.I always have my dog in cotton mouth infested swamps.It is at least a 20 min ride to the house on ATV and another 35 to the nearest vet.
those cotton mouth snakes are very deadly.lab likes to swim.those snakes hide in water.man, that would freak ole sproul out.i would be carrying a shotgun everytime i am near water.
here in pa we only worry about land snakes like rattlers/copperheads.water is no problem but you have big problem with those snakes
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW!
One method is to Snake -Break training and that is done with an e-collar and a live snake - any snake will do.

Collar setting is at high and nothing or no command is given other than pushing a button when the dog shows interest on its own.

Google the title as there is alot of information out there on How to

JW

My squirrel dog is snake broke - she is usually on the lookout and will move/jump away from a snake or even a dead skin. However, once, I saw her get distracted hunting and step on a cottonmouth. Luckily it only showed its mouth at her and didn't bite. When she looked down she must have jumped 8 feet.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RaySendero
My squirrel dog is snake broke - she is usually on the lookout and will move/jump away from a snake or even a dead skin. However, once, I saw her get distracted hunting and step on a cottonmouth. Luckily it only showed its mouth at her and didn't bite. When she looked down she must have jumped 8 feet.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
otj
Spike

Does any one know how long you do have to get them to the vets?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by otj
Does any one know how long you do have to get them to the vets?
good point.problem is a lot of times you dont know your dog was bit and bit by what type of snake.
my friends lab was bit and he did not know it until dog was dead the next day.
this is why i am keeping toby away from woods etc.

but you have good point .......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.