Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
When to intoduce your pup to the water. >

When to intoduce your pup to the water.

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

When to intoduce your pup to the water.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default When to intoduce your pup to the water.

Just curious on the opinions of when to introduce a new pup to water. About September I should be getting my new hunting buddy Chesapeake Bay Retreiver from great lines so long as he did his business. My last dog started early, 8 weeks if I recall, when I was young she was following me into the creek when I was catching crawfish for smallie fishing, then again I did get some looks for years duck hunting with a rottie.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

That is an open ended question. I introduced my Lab at about 12 weeks if i remember right. Just remember make it fun for your pup, and start out in shallow water. something the puppy can walk in.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've raised labs for over 30 years. Depending on the weather, I've had pups retrieving tennis balls in the water at 12 weeks. But like Cessna states, don't force the issue. I don on a pair of hip boots and start in puddles then slowly move to deeper water. Make the first couple water presentations all fun and games. Just playing in the water. Once the pup's confidence builds, then start retrieves in shallow water and soon he will be swimming and not even know it. Be forwarned however that the first time or two you may have to go in after it cause he might not have his confidence level up. You may really have to get him excited to go after the toy.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Spike

I've introduced weimaraner pups as early as 6 weeks of age. Bronko had excellent advice. Start in puddles, shallow water. I like to use the shallows in a slow-moving small stream/creek. A step or two and you're across. Take pup for a walk and and just stroll across. Don't make a fuss, keep quiet, and continue walking. They may hesitate - but will usually quickly dash across the shallows to be with you. From there, gradually larger or deeper water.

When 12 weeks or so, if doing well in walking through puddles or shallow streams we'll try the pond. Let them explore the shallows - no pressure. After a trip or two to the pond, it's swim time. Luckily, I have a son that loves to swim in the pond. He'll wade out, take pup with him and let him swimm back to shore. I sometimes wade in also, and we have the pup swim from one to the other. Then encourage pups to swim from shore to him...just a few feet. Couple times of that and they feel comfortable. If they are also retrieving - combining the retrieve with water really gets them going.

Of course, warmer the weather the easier. Try to get pups accustomed to water before water temp drops in fall.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

My choc lab was in the bath tub with the grand kids at 6-wks. He absolutely loves water and I cannot keep him out of my wifes fish pond. He was swimming with the kids in the big swimming pool by eight wks of age. The main thing is, and I can't stress this enough, make it fun and he will love it. Start small puddles and work up to deep water. (rubber duckies to training dummies)
Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Spike

Every dog is different my lab jumped in after 6 weeks without my consent. Just see how your reacts to it, but just to be on the safe side start shallow water.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

i took toby in tub with me at 8 weeks old. make sure you wear pajama bottoms/tops as those toenails are sharp.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Spike

I would say as soon as possible without making it a negative experience. Keep it positive.