Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 german shorthair or wirehair >

german shorthair or wirehair

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

german shorthair or wirehair

Old 06-21-2003, 12:55 AM

Default german shorthair or wirehair

I am going to get a german shorthair pointer or a wirehair but I' m not sure which one I should get this would be my first dog I would be training for hunting (upland birds and waterfowl) is there much of a difference in training or in they' re ability' s
any help would be great
Old 06-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: german shorthair or wirehair

I don' t think you could go wrong with either I' ve had shorthairs for yrs and all the wirehairs I' ve seen have been impressive. find a quality breeder with the type of bloodline background your looking for and jump right in. look at litters from both breeds if possible and the right pup for you will pick you before you make up your mind. use you PC and do some research
Old 06-26-2003, 09:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-26-2003, 11:26 PM

Jagertiger, I am a breeder of german shorthairs. I haven' t been around many wirehairs But you can' t go wrong with a shorthair. They are smart and very loving.I have a really nice female pup that is 10wks old. She is pointing wings and has been around adults and kids. let me know if you are interest. I can e-mail you some pictures.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:08 PM

I may be predjudiced by my affection for the breed, but if you are going to use the dog for waterfowling, I' d go with the Wirehair because the coat affords more protection from cold water.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:16 PM

The wirehair would be better if your hunting in heavy bush where the a shorthaired dog would get scratched on the face. And like Tal said, it might be better in the water. Otherwise shorthair if it' s hot and open where your hunting.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I' d go with the SH because i have had one before. great hunting dog but i had to get rid of him because of a stupid cat[:' (][:@]
Old 07-13-2003, 05:43 AM

Both very good choices. I have hunted over both, but never owned either. IMHO, from what I have experienced, I would have to ask myself, " What will I be hunting the majority of the time?" If I answered upland birds, I would say the choice is even. If I answered waterfowl, I would go with the Wirehair. As earlier stated, their coats are a little tougher and could stand the cold better. You can not go wrong with either choice, just make sure you buy from good hunting stock and train it properly.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

English Setter, or, maybe a wirehair.

Quick Reply: german shorthair or wirehair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.