Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

poop eater

Old 06-18-2003, 06:34 AM

Default poop eater

I noticed one of my goldens eating her feces. Well, I could not swear that it was her feces, but non the less she was eating it. My first thought was, " she must be wormy" , however I wormed (hook, round, and whatever else it might have been for) her and my other two goldens about two months ago. I' ll probably call the vet but was wondering if someone on this forum might have an idea what her problem might be.

My wife did feed my male a fat piece of boneless country style ribs the night before. Maybe that has something to do with it!
Old 06-18-2003, 09:53 AM

Default RE: poop eater

I think most all dogs keep in a kennel with others will do this.I know mine will some times. they do have some kind of a feed or pill or something you can feed you dogs that will stop that.I don' t really know what it is,I really have never been worriedabout it.I have had dogs for about 40 years and tey have all done it at one time or the other.
call your vet and he can give you some idea of what it is I' m talking about.he is going to tell you you need to buy it. because he is selling it.I never have.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:56 PM

Caveman,
This reminds me of a quote that my dad likes to say.
" Do you know why dogs eat their $@#%? Because they like it!"
Old 06-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its a dog eat dog world, well dog eat dog poop world in that case [&:]
Old 06-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My golden does this also.I went to the vet and told them I have a sh$t eating dog.They tried to sell me a pill that supposingly makes the poop taste bad but da.You would think it already does!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:02 AM

Our vet told us that our lab needed to lose weight and we should cut down her food a little. We did, then every time she came back in the house she would breath on you and you coudl tell that nasty little bitch had been picking at piles in the yard. We put her food back to the previous level, and she has stopped doing it. I' ll let her be a little fat.

All of our dogs go for the cat feces if given a chance but I think that is just a special treat.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was told that many animals eat feces out of instinct. There is still a large amount of protein and energy in the feces after it has passed through an animal once. The animal doesn' t mind a nice turd snack every now or then to make use of this food. A good example of the human version would be the East Indian sects that only eat human feces for periods.

Then there' s the old roll in the stuff habit. It' s supposed to cover their scent. Neither seems appealing but the dog' s see the world through a different set of organs.

Dan O.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:24 AM

i have a cute little cocker spaniel named jenny, she does not eat her own poo. But sometimes i will hug her when i get home from work and she has poop smell on her neck and under her ears. I try to tell her not to roll her own poo, but she does anyway. she does not understand that having terds stuck to your neck is both stinky and unattractive.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:10 PM

Well I' m sure glad that this isn' t my 50th post (fawn to spike day soon!) for such a sh&tty topic. [&:]

My dog falls into this category and I' ve heard somewhere that it' s all part of the circle of life. I' ve also heard that if you want your dog to stop, all you have to do is sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it. Never tried, but could only imagine the consequences. []

ONLY ONE MORE POST TO BECOMING A SPIKE [8D]
Old 07-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You go around sprinkling cayenne pepper on all the animal turds when you go for a walk in the bush?

Dan O.

Quick Reply: poop eater

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.