Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

AWS Vs. Boykin

Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default AWS Vs. Boykin

i was born and raised with springers but have gotten into waterfowl hunting and am looking for a flusher/retriever. i have only seen a water spaniel and that thing was wired for hunting and veyr impressive. but lookin around on the internet i read that water spaniels can get pretty testy. is this true? also lookin around on AKC and on the recent post the boykin seems more family friendly. but i have not been around either breed enough to anything about them. any kind of advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

I just lost my AWS before Christmas after 14 years together. I couldn't have asked for a better dog, but I did learn a lot about "what I should have done better" in his later years. He was very family friendly, in fact I'd say "family protective".

Now I have a Boykin, and he's also a terrific dog.

Either breed needs lots of exercise, lots of socializing with other dogs and lots of people. And, they have entirely different habits and traits. Either one makes a great waterfowl dog, but what kind of waterfowl and where do you live? How late into the year do you hunt (how cold is the water?) what kind of water do you hunt in?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

well i live in central minnesota so i mostly hunt sloughs/ponds. i will be out there until the end of the season ( if the ice aint too bad).
Old 02-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Either one of those breeds would suit your location, that's right down their alley.

As you've probably figured out, the Boykin is about 2/3 or less the size of an American Water Spaniel. One was developed in Wisconsin, the other in South Carolina. They have completely different coats, with the AWS coat being more like what I'd want for a dog working in < 40* water.

I know of quite a few Boykins in your area if you want names of guys to talk to.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

well right now it depends on where my occupation takes me this spring and if i can find a place adequate to raise a pup right. but i will keep you in mind i might be messaging you later on this spring thanks for all the help.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Cold climate get a AWS... Boykin's can handle the cold but the have a coat similar to a springer... they don't shed water... when they get wet they stay wet and get cold.

Mine does ok here in VA . but the temperature is fairly mild. In the heat he will outlast a lab or AWS all day long... he's hell on a dove hunt!!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

i know this can very dog to dog, but breed to breed are the temperments reletivly similar. AKC and the AWS organiztion seems to make them sound like all hunter not family dog. the one sight said that a AWS will attach mainly to its alpha and that some will challenge the alpha periodicly. i live relativly close to night hawk kennels in MN which is a prestigous AWS factory and i plan on swinging by when they have their next litter to see if this is true cuz what ive gathered from you guys is that both breeds are equally great for hunting and family
Old 03-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Dogs in a kennel aren't going to tell you what you want to know. But maybe the breeder will give you names of his customers you can talk to.

My AWS was a very family dog, and so were every other AWS I've known.

Contact some of these people for their perspectives: http://www.americanwaterspanielclub....ntact%20Us.htm
http://www.awsfa.org/Club%20Info/ass...n_officers.htm
http://mnhuntingspaniel.com/board.html