Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best antler dog?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Best antler dog?

Just wondering what the best antler finding dog is.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I would say the one that you put the most time into training. There really isn't a best breed for it. If anything, I would say a breed that is a strong retrieving breed.

You could probably go into any pound and get a younger dog and just start training for it.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

I will be picking up my new chocale lab pup in a week. I plan on training her to find sheds.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrads WNIhunter, I chose a Lab as well. I adopted him on Feb. 1st. at 11 weeks old and have been working with him ever since.
Took advantage of the great weather and spent the last 2 days in SE. OH. with Mojo and ended up finding 14 sheds and a dead 10-pt including one that Mojo found all by himself and brought to me!! It is the first shed he has found by himself without me seeing it prior to him! (the first pic.)
The 2nd. pic. is of Mojo after I saw some gobblers and we got behind a bush and I told him to lay down and he did the entire time while I called them into 35 yards.
The 3rd and 4th pics is of Mojo on the ATV., we road all over and every time I tried to put him on the ground he tried to jump right back on. (I might have spoiled him!) Pike