Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

My black & Tan...Logan

Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Spike

Unhappy My black & Tan...Logan

Hey Folks! This is my first post. I'm hoping to get some insight into the behavioral pattern of my dog and how best to approach this situation. Logan is actually my 3rd Coon dog. I have an older Walker and another black & Tan, all of which are rescues. Logan is the newest addition and for the most part he is a fantastic dog. I am not a hunter but deffinetley an out doorsman. I spend alot of time hiking the local mountains and my other two are fantastic. They stay by my side or if they go off they always return, their re-call is great! Unfortunatley, Logan's tracking drive is far too intense. everytime I let him off leash he goes nuts. I think deer is his thing. I have already lost him 3 times. Once for six day's in the woods the other times were over nighters. I ended up getting the astro 220 which thankfullly works as advertised, I'm very happy with the unit. But that is no deterent, just a fail safe incase he goes. Honestly, Logan was not alway's this way. We've had him for about a year now. In the past, Logan used to respond well to my whistle, but ever since he darted off fo a deer in the bush, that is all he wants to do now. It's like something clicked in him and he realized what he was born to do. I'm okay with that. I would like to satisfy that need of his but I need him to have focus and good re-call, not only for his safety but mine. Unfortunatley, here in BC Canada I have limited resources to tap into. Most peaple out here have never even seen a B&T, they think he is a doberman with long ears oh well. So here I am reaching out for your input/help. What tips tricks or training advice could you give me. I know you peaple down south have tons of knowedge, it's practicaly your sport...help, is he doomed or am I?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok if you want him to stop chasing deer,its simple buy a shocking collar and each and every time he sniff's a deer track barks at a deer etc. fry him(make sure your not touching him lol)...if your fine with him running deer by a tracking system and use it every time you go out when you lose him turn it on and pretty much easy as that...all my dogs that me and dad have ever had were hounds and hunted specifically coon's...i went out the other night and my two current redbones ran a deer didnt find em till the next day....

This is all I know because its all I've ever done someone else I'm sure will have better advise this is just coming from a ol' out in the backwood's down in the hauler kinda boy ya know?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Kuk. I'm in Ark too and am looking for a redbone pup. Know where I can find a good one?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got rid of two of mine too one of my friends at school if I ever hear anything I'll let ya know I have a neighbor with redbones I'll talk to him and ask...
Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where in Arkansas you at?
Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

warren. u?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Salem...Fulton County North East
Old 01-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

lots of turkeys up there!