Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Karelian bear dog

Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM
RAK
Spike

Default Karelian bear dog

Does anyone have this type of dog? What would you tell me to be aware of? I am planning to purchase a KBD. I do lots of fishing and hiking and I thought I need a companion. I might even use it on cougar because that is the only big game our state allows us dogs.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm

If you get one with high prey drive you must extensively train it so it doesn't chase everything. Another thing about these dogs is they did not just bay they attacked and were used as catch dogs. I don't know what your states specifics are about using dogs.

I looked into many different breeds including the Karelian and opted for a cane corso. I use him as a treeing dog.
Attached Thumbnails Karelian bear dog-0720081740a.jpg   Karelian bear dog-big-rome.jpg  
Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I feel they are great dogs but need to be properly trained.
I have 2 friends from work that own them and a couple (susan and Roland)that raise them. http://www.bearunoffkennels.com/
i spent 24+ hours driving with one in my truck cab. she was such a great dog i did not want to deliver her to kennel in whitehorse yukon to be sent to guide in Yellowknife. I would have kept her in a heart beat. That breed is on the short list for my next dog.