Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Flu for Dogs

Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Flu for Dogs

I took my dog to the vet today for his leptospirosis shot. The vet told me a number of dogs were dying from a canine flu. He gave him the H3N1 vaccine which was originally designed for pigs.

Here's a link to read more:
Canine influenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

You've been had.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Spike

The first documented cases of the canine flu that has been has been steadily spreading across the country were detected in 2004. It began with an outbreak of a respiratory disease in Greyhounds at racing kennels in Florida. Researchers believe the virus responsible for canine flu evolved from an equine flu virus, which, in a rare occurrence, jumped from one species to another. The first case of canine flu in pet dogs... dogs other than racing greyhounds... was documented in April or May 2005.

Canine flu is highly contagious. Because this is a new strain of virus, all dogs are susceptible. Nearly 100% of dogs who are exposed to the virus will become infected. About 80% of infected dogs will develop mild flu symptoms within 2 to 5 days of exposure. Some infected dogs will have no symptoms, but will remain contagious for 7 to 10 days. It can be much more severe in young puppies, older dogs and dogs with weakened immune systems.

According to current reports, the virus has been found in dogs in at least 15 states and in Washington, DC. Three states, Florida, New York, and New Jersey, have the highest number of documented cases. Researchers are working to develop a vaccine to prevent canine flu, but there is none available now.
================================
babies and pregnancy
affordable family law attorney