HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   What can poison your dog in the field... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/308366-what-can-poison-your-dog-field.html)

MNDan 10-29-2009 03:50 PM

What can poison your dog in the field...
 
My girlfriend is a vet and wrote this article for the company she works for (Pet Poison Helpline). Some good info on what you need to watch out for to keep your dog safe...

Pet Poison Helpline Offers Safety Tips for Hunting Dogs
Hunting season is upon us – tips to keep your dog safe
Minneapolis (October 5, 2009) – As you and your Labrador retriever, German shorthaired pointer, or Irish setter prepare for hunting season, it’s important to make sure that you’re keeping your dog out of harm’s way. Be aware of potential hazards to your hunting dog to help ensure a safe, enjoyable and bountiful hunt.

Toxin alert. Hunting dogs encounter risks that backyard pets don’t. Here are some toxins you should know about.











                      The best thing any hunter can do is to be educated about the common hazards or toxins which predominantly effect hunting dogs. When in doubt or if you think your pet has been poisoned, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 1-800-213-6680 with any questions or concerns.

                      About Pet Poison Helpline
                      Pet Poison Helpline is a service available 24 hours, seven days a week for pet owners, veterinarians and vet techs that require assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. Staff can provide treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for animal poison control care, Pet Poison Helpline’s fee of $35 per incident includes follow-up consultation for the duration of the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.

                      ###
                      Media Note: Representatives from Pet Poison Helpline are available to discuss fall hunting, fall toxins or other topics pertaining to pet health and safety.

                      Vizsla Vince 10-30-2009 07:39 AM

                      Thanks for the tips, Dan! I know I've read all these before, but a friendly reminder never hurts! And thanks for the poison hotline #, too. I'll write it on the inside of Zoomie's first aid kit.

                      MNDan 10-30-2009 08:18 AM

                      No problem - hope it helps someone some day. And apologies for the size of the font - not sure what happened there... :)

                      Canned Heat 11-01-2009 06:26 PM

                      When my dog was a pup she actually got into some mushrooms and nearly died. 2 years after that she got into some onions and left a mess out of her backside thru the house that looked like a crime scene. Apparently she wised up after those 2 incidents and doesn't touch anything other than her food or what we're eating. I do know a guy who lost a dog to algae in a stagnant water hole...nasty stuff.

                      TeeJay 11-19-2009 11:06 AM

                      I think most of these are no brainers. That beeing said some things that dogs get into in the field that most poeple dont think of. Porcupines, skunk,ferel cat, and the famous stick in the eye. I think that if she were to touch on these she would have something. BTW yes my dogs have been involved with all of these some more that once. Shorthairs just didnt get it.

                      springerDIVA 12-27-2009 01:14 PM

                      Grass awns can be dangerous as well. Kind of a "hidden" danger.

                      sproulman 12-28-2009 06:50 PM

                      toby my lab drinks that algae water everytime i take him pheasant hunting in certain area.he is hot and goes for dive and then drinks it.
                      so far i have not had him sick,i guess very lucky.he also drinks water from ground with gas in it from gas fields here in clinton county, pa.gas bubbles up thru ground into water laying in puddles.

                      jaywalker 01-30-2010 09:49 AM

                      Thanks for the info everyone!

                      coonhnter4life 02-04-2010 10:32 AM

                      Thanks for the tips Dan!!!!!!

                      Buck Hunter 1 02-05-2010 02:54 AM

                      leaking coolant . Dogs love that stuff.


                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:01 PM.


                      Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.