HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   What can poison your dog in the field... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/308366-what-can-poison-your-dog-field.html)

MNDan 10-29-2009 03:50 PM

What can poison your dog in the field...

My girlfriend is a vet and wrote this article for the company she works for (Pet Poison Helpline). Some good info on what you need to watch out for to keep your dog safe...

Pet Poison Helpline Offers Safety Tips for Hunting Dogs
Hunting season is upon us – tips to keep your dog safe
Minneapolis (October 5, 2009) – As you and your Labrador retriever, German shorthaired pointer, or Irish setter prepare for hunting season, it’s important to make sure that you’re keeping your dog out of harm’s way. Be aware of potential hazards to your hunting dog to help ensure a safe, enjoyable and bountiful hunt.

Toxin alert. Hunting dogs encounter risks that backyard pets don’t. Here are some toxins you should know about.

The best thing any hunter can do is to be educated about the common hazards or toxins which predominantly effect hunting dogs. When in doubt or if you think your pet has been poisoned, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately at 1-800-213-6680 with any questions or concerns.

About Pet Poison Helpline
                      Pet Poison Helpline is a service available 24 hours, seven days a week for pet owners, veterinarians and vet techs that require assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. Staff can provide treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for animal poison control care, Pet Poison Helpline’s fee of $35 per incident includes follow-up consultation for the duration of the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.

###
                      Media Note: Representatives from Pet Poison Helpline are available to discuss fall hunting, fall toxins or other topics pertaining to pet health and safety.

Vizsla Vince 10-30-2009 07:39 AM

Thanks for the tips, Dan! I know I've read all these before, but a friendly reminder never hurts! And thanks for the poison hotline #, too. I'll write it on the inside of Zoomie's first aid kit.

MNDan 10-30-2009 08:18 AM

No problem - hope it helps someone some day. And apologies for the size of the font - not sure what happened there... :)

Canned Heat 11-01-2009 06:26 PM

When my dog was a pup she actually got into some mushrooms and nearly died. 2 years after that she got into some onions and left a mess out of her backside thru the house that looked like a crime scene. Apparently she wised up after those 2 incidents and doesn't touch anything other than her food or what we're eating. I do know a guy who lost a dog to algae in a stagnant water hole...nasty stuff.

TeeJay 11-19-2009 11:06 AM

I think most of these are no brainers. That beeing said some things that dogs get into in the field that most poeple dont think of. Porcupines, skunk,ferel cat, and the famous stick in the eye. I think that if she were to touch on these she would have something. BTW yes my dogs have been involved with all of these some more that once. Shorthairs just didnt get it.

springerDIVA 12-27-2009 01:14 PM

Grass awns can be dangerous as well. Kind of a "hidden" danger.

sproulman 12-28-2009 06:50 PM

toby my lab drinks that algae water everytime i take him pheasant hunting in certain area.he is hot and goes for dive and then drinks it.
                      so far i have not had him sick,i guess very lucky.he also drinks water from ground with gas in it from gas fields here in clinton county, pa.gas bubbles up thru ground into water laying in puddles.

jaywalker 01-30-2010 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!

coonhnter4life 02-04-2010 10:32 AM

Thanks for the tips Dan!!!!!!

Buck Hunter 1 02-05-2010 02:54 AM

leaking coolant . Dogs love that stuff.

stags pad 05-20-2010 11:03 PM

nice work and thanks for the advice and tips...i live in NZ and we have aerial 1080 drops for "possum control" it seems to control the deer populations aswell,in saying that the 1080 poison can stay in the bone marrow of a dead deer carcass for over 2 years and be deadly on any dog that crunches through the bone of said deer,i have been told that the gut system of dogs is way diff to that of coons and such,,beleive me,they die a horrible death,my lab went down with 1080,it haunts me to this very day

BC_minded 06-22-2010 05:04 PM

I gotta say, I'm still kinda new in this field. Thanks for sharing this info!

sproulman 10-10-2010 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Beard Buster (Post 3699419)
                      A few years ago my beagle ate the head of a rabbit I had cleaned before I could stop her. That nearly killed her because the bone fragmented and lodged in her stomach. It is something I wouldn't wish on any animal. Be mindful of how you dispose of your waste. I know it is a no brainer but alot of people reward hunting dogs with scraps. BB

just the head.my beagle years ago swallowed the whole rabbit.

losthwy 02-20-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by sproulman (Post 3541388)
                      toby my lab drinks that algae water everytime i take him pheasant hunting in certain area.he is hot and goes for dive and then drinks it.
                      so far i have not had him sick,i guess very lucky...

There are numerous algae types. What to look for are bodies of water that look like green paint was mixed with the water. This link has a good photo.
                      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33045773...s-environment/

Schmidty25 04-12-2011 07:42 AM

Thanx for the helpful tips! didn't know about the algae water

taylorjeremy 07-27-2011 10:51 PM

What can poison your dog in the field...

I am sure most people know that chocolate is toxic for dogs. There are actually a lot of human food that's toxic to your little fur baby.

Vizsla Vince 09-27-2011 05:34 PM

I almost lost Zoomie last year to blasto (blastomycosis-sp?). Its a bacteria that lives in the soil in the midwest, especially in plowed crop fields... Very difficult to avoid. Most dogs won't be affected by it, but once in a while, the bacteria will take up residence in the lungs & try to take over. This is what happened to Zoomie. I had to put him on medicine for 7 months, one pill a day to combat it. By the time we caught it, he had lost 10 lbs, & wouldn't eat. I still have to take him back for one more urine test to confirm he is clean. The vet said he will be @ about 80 % for the rest of his life, but we've still got him.

Adamcat 12-17-2011 05:24 PM

Holy crap! I did not know that about clays!

Beard Buster 03-02-2012 10:19 PM

One of my Beagles ate the head of a rabbit we had taken once. She nearly died because the bones splintered and did not digest. It was really tragic. Fortunately she recovered from it after several months of careful treatment and rest. We have to be very careful not to let our dogs eat any harmful pieces of game we take, especially the guts, due to parasitic concerns.

North Wind 03-03-2012 11:30 AM

Good stuff to know right here!

KelleyWebb 06-29-2012 03:41 AM

My lovely dog Jester is dead due to food poisoning, after examine veterinarian said he had eaten spoil mushroom. However Jester’s dead hurt me a lot.

ChuckDee 03-05-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1 (Post 3570163)
                      leaking coolant . Dogs love that stuff.

Ole Mac drank that stuff but he ended up being ok. I miss Mac dog.

crokit 08-31-2013 03:52 AM

Excellent info all. Thanks for the posts.

jonathanmsoloman 11-09-2014 11:03 PM

Thanks for the information, Dan! i do know I've scan of these before, however a friendly reminder never hurts! And thanks for the poison hotline. i will write it on the within of Zoomies ending kit.

Oldtimr 06-17-2015 12:41 PM

Sproulman, where is all this poisoning of dogs going in PA on by coyote trappers? By your screen name I would guess around Sproul state forest somewhere. If something like that was going on it is usually on the news and the PGC would be aware of it. In addition, meat does not have to be prevented from freezing in a trapping set, coyotes noses can smell meat and lure if it is fresh or frozen. Meat soaked in anti freeze would smell like antifeeeze, not meat. I am having a hard time believing what you are selling. There is no doubt, antifreeze will kill dogs and any other animal, however your post seems a bit far fetched to believe since there is no reason to prevent meat in a coyote set from freezing. Moost times rumors are nonsense, I suspect this is one of those times. The best approach is not to pass on rumors.

Topgun 3006 06-17-2015 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4202798)
                      Sproulman, where is all this poisoning of dogs going in PA on by coyote trappers? By your screen name I would guess around Sproul state forest somewhere. If something like that was going on it is usually on the news and the PGC would be aware of it. In addition, meat does not have to be prevented from freezing in a trapping set, coyotes noses can smell meat and lure if it is fresh or frozen. Meat soaked in anti freeze would smell like antifeeeze, not meat. I am having a hard time believing what you are selling. There is no doubt, antifreeze will kill dogs and any other animal, however your post seems a bit far fetched to believe since there is no reason to prevent meat in a coyote set from freezing. Moost times rumors are nonsense, I suspect this is one of those times. The best approach is not to pass on rumors.

I doubt that you'll get an answer from him, as he hasn't even logged onto the site in 1 /1/2 years!

Oldtimr 06-17-2015 06:27 PM

I reckon you are right, I never looked at the date.:biggrin:

Topgun 3006 06-18-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4202838)
                      I reckon you are right, I never looked at the date.:biggrin:

Blame it on the newbie first time poster that brought a thread out of the archives like more and more seem to be doing! :lmao:

MudderChuck 06-18-2015 06:05 PM

Thanx for the reminder.

One of my Dogs overdosed on Grapes, he went stiff as a board and looked like a stand up stuffed toy. Took hours at the Vet filling him up with infusions, trying to dilute the sugar. We put almost three quarts in him and he is only around 20 pounds. He seemed none the worst for wear afterwards, but it was touch and go there for awhile.

I've had all of my dogs go into convulsions eating Walnuts. I suspect they eat some of the hulls and some of the shell along with the nut meat. I believe the Tannin is what gets them.

You can't watch them 24/7 but you have to try.

richardhandsonn 12-03-2015 12:43 AM

Thanks for sharing this useful information and I really appreciate your hard work. But yes you are right, we must take care of all the things which poisonous for them.

Thanks Dan for sharing the Pet Poison Helpline. I am very grateful to you for updating these tips.Also you can take the help from http://britishgrit.com/. They also helps in updating the most crucial things which should be known by everyone, specially for those who love pets.

mkhtk79 01-19-2019 11:28 PM

My gf apparently fed my dog a few grapes while she was eating them herself. This happened a few times before I found out about it. I'm assuming it was the reason she (the dog ) started having kidney problems several months later. Watch out for those grapes!

mrbb 03-23-2021 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by upssSpala (Post 4389642)
                      How do I move a thread to a different topic?
                      hi all :)

you cannot move a thread, only a MOD can, so you have to ASK one to do so if you wish to have one moved!

and THIS question should be asked in its OWN thread too, not polluting an established thread with a question that has nothing to do with topic???

Gm54-120 04-05-2021 06:00 AM

More SPAMMERS. Takes me a couple seconds to spot these each day.

Bocajnala 04-05-2021 09:36 AM

Goned-ed.

-Jake

MudderChuck 05-16-2021 03:53 AM

I realize the original post was spam, but I have something to add. One of my dogs was staying sick and it took me a while to figure out why. I normally put shelled peanuts and sunflower seeds in my bird feeder and the dogs scarf up what the birds toss around onto the ground. The wife bought wild bird seed, a lot of seed birds do just fine with, some are poison for dogs. Shortly after I stopped putting wild bird seed in the feeder my dog got better. You'd think dogs would be more instinctively smarter about what not to eat, ain't so. I'm hoping his kidneys don't have permanent damage.