Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

english pointer help

Old 08-31-2009, 04:55 AM
Spike

Default english pointer help

we have 2 english pointers that we hunt pheasants with but they come home all beat up around the nose and eyes. any suggestions for something to protect them?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that comes to mind is vaseline. Dunno how advisable it is to put near eyes, but it will help the brush "slide" past the skin as opposed to grabbing on & scratching. Maybe there's another lubricant that's safe for eyes?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I would ask a vet.
I would be afraid the vaseline would help hold seeds or debri.

the thing that has helped me is I run my dogs more way before season and they seem to get conditioned so that does not happen. I don't see the raw top of nose or around the eyes as much when I first started.

On cuts and scrapes I do use neosporin which seems to help the dog heal faster. So a tube of that is always in my do kit. Bag balm seems to help sore teats.

JW
Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default pointer

Do they have orange noses?? Alot of pointers with light colored noses have softer skin. The vaseline might work around the nose but you are going to have to reapply often, because it is just going to wipe off while they are bustn through the brush. Also apply very lightly so it doesnt go up into their sinuses.

Are there eyes all scraped up or the skin around them?

Do their noses ever callus late in the season??
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Spike

thanks everyone. i had thought about vaseline too, but was worried about getting it in their eyes. it's just the skin around the eyes and not the eye itself (so far!) i'll have to talk to the vet. yes, they have orange noses and i've thought their skin is more sensitive because our friend with german shorthairs doesn't have this problem. don't know about late season calluses since they're both new dogs....2nd season for the first one and first time out for the other. guess i'll just buy neosporin stock!! thanks all!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Zoomie ended up with a log in his eye yesterday! Not really a log, but a sizable chunk of wood. It was stuck between his eyeball & upper lid. I was able to pull it out easily, but there were smaller pieces still floating around in there. I had to irrigate both eyes to flush everything out. he was a real trooper about the whole experience. Nothing quite as shocking as seeing your dog run up with a chunk of wood dangling from his eye!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Spike

yikes!! hope he's ok....eye injuries can be a real problem. a few years ago i was throwing a stick for one of our dogs to fetch and it stuck straight up in the snow. when he went to grab it, the dang thing stuck in the back of his throat!! talk about a shock as he came running back with a branch hanging out of his mouth and he couldn't drop it!! luckily it wasn't in too deep and i could pull it out. plenty of blood and a quick trip to the vet and all was fine. i see you're in w. chicago.....what burb? we're northwest of milwaukee.....
Old 09-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is the 'burb. The Town of West Chicago. Zoomie was ok. didn't even scratch the eye as far as I can tell. His natural defenses took over & protected the eyeball pretty well. Just had to flush the junk out between his inner & outer lids.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

My Last Black lab would run so hard the color would wear off of his nose.....He was a tough hunter.
just let em heal. check em over. and tell your wife not to freak out
Old 09-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

I do Know a couple of field trialers that use the vasoline on the nose,cheekbone under the eye, and scrotum area. Eventually the skin will toughen up and wont need anything.