Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pheasent hunting dogs

Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 AM

Default Pheasent hunting dogs

i have a GermanShort -Haired Pointer and she hunts pheasents like crazy. they are very skilled hunting dogs and they love the water
Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pheasent hunting dogs

They are great dogs for grouse as well. They were my next pick if I hadn't found my Irish setters..
Old 05-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

gsp covers a lot of ground,cant say anything bad about breed.grouse they should do fine,short hair is nice and they seem to take heat.

my lab ,heat is tough on him while grouse hunting.if there is stream nearby, toby will be in it.

i know setters are much better grouse dog than a lab, in fact i am only one in our group with lab that hunts grouse,most are setters/gsp/brittanys.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm taking my Vizsla grouse hunting this fall in Wi. So far, he's only been on canned phez & chukar.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

It can't be canned hunting if they can fly away can it? Also you should perhaps try having them plants birds for you on a fairly windy day. That way the birds are harder for the farm to plant and it gives your Vizsla a harder time finding them. That puts you and your dog closer to the real thing. when first taking him out do not be surprized if he misses a few birds. This is because the scent is stronger on pen raised birds and he may have to get used to the real thing with the wild ones. Good luck with hunting the wild ones as well. My setterfirst pointed them and took off away from it for some reason. i had to get him used to the wild birds. But then again i was breaking them in for grouse and woodcock instead of pheasants and chuckar..
Old 05-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

It can't be canned hunting if they can fly away can it?
Well, that's why its called "hunting" not "killing". As a matter of fact, some of them don't fly! They just run a while to the "safe zone" or get caught by the dog[:@]
But thanks for the pointers on wild birds.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Spike

We have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers that are amazing hunters. They love upland bird hunting most, yet they waterfoul hunt as well. Great dispossition, and very versitile, along with making a wonder pet when not hunting with their master.Very easily trainable. I have attatched them pointing phesant. I will send another message with one retrieving a duck.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Spike

The first pic above is them pointing, and here is a duck retrieve. They are such a wonder dog. Most of what they have is natural instinct, but that does not mean you can slack on training.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Will never be without a shorthair! Awesome Dogs. This was Gunner's first real hunt -(birds not purchased and released). When he couldn't find anymore pheasants he started going after the rabbits.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Good looking shorthairs everyone. I love the breed.

Quick Reply: Pheasent hunting dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.