Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dog?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default dog?

this might be off-topic but i wanted to know what causesthis//ok...my dog had like a Heart-attack or some-thing his eyes rolled back into his head and he did not breath for 5 min...and its legs got all stiff and it was floping around i would love if u could tell me thanks..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: dog?

Sounds like a seizure. My wife's dog used to do that. The vet advise to pop a sugar cube in it's mouth. It would bring it out quickly. I'm sure there are many other causes besides blood sugar level. You may want to ask the Vet.
Blessings
Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a seizure to me as well. I had a lab when I was growing up that did that, vet said there was really nothing they could do unless they became regular and then they would put her on some medication. I was also hunting in South Dakota about 5 years ago with a Lab that did the same thing. The owner reported that is was just the 3rd or 4th time in 7 years that the dog had done this. This was about how often my lab did it as well. So hopefully it is a one time deal or at least a very rare occurance.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a friend that had a dog that was epilectic and it had seizures. It sounded like what your dog is doing maybe the same thing. However no one can be sure unless you check it out with a vet. That can be exspensive but is worth it so your dog can be treated. If it is something else you most likely would want to know. Also it would be a good idea to let your breeder know so they can prevent it from happening again..
Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of dog is it?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:38 PM

growing up we had a brittany spaniel that was epilectic and it had seizures. he shook and would get stiff legs but I don't remember eyes rolling back in his head. but it always seemed like he knew when it was happening and would come to you and be real close.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

it is a beagle.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

My beagle has seizures occassionaly. I will have to try the sugar cube to see if this helps. Beagles are known for having them from what I have read.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

thanks...guys....could she die if it became to bad i seriously thought she was going to die but she came back and it was kind of funny cause first thing she did was go and sniff around for rabbits...she was alright then//do u think she has them every day? she could have them when we don't see them
Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the infomation you have been given here is helpful.
But like others have said, take your dog to a Vet and let them diagnose the exact cause of his seizures.

You will get the information you need and you'll be doing your dog a big favor as well.
Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.