Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

dog?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: dog?

My Golden Retriever had epilepsy for 10 years. The vet said he would never "die" from the seizure. My fear was always that he would hurt himself while having one. His were grandmaul (sp?) and lasted 20 minutes or so. He started out having them when he was 2 yrs old. I began to notice that he "knew" he was going to have one. He would start getting close to me and acting really nervous. I began to get ready when he acted strange like that. Then he would thrash around for like 5 min. That seemed to be the dangerous part(We now have a swimming pool, and it would scare me to think that if we weren't home to see him have the siezure) Then he would freeze like a statue either on his side or like a down stay for like 15 min. He usually would deficate and urinate in this position, so I learned to have some towels ready and under him after the rough part. Like brkn arrow said, Barth seemed to know what has happening (after the thrashing, but during the frozen part). I just petted him until he was through.

We tried him on medication, but that kind of turned him into a lazy dog and took the edge off his personality.

He eventually got cancer. That was bad. We had to put him down in July when he got too bad. Basically, Cancer killed him...not the epilepsy.

Good luck. You and your dog are in my prayers tonight.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

IS IT A PUPPY? Sometimes puppies will have siezures if infested with worms. Labs can get a disease that when stressed they just drop and lay there for a while. I don't recall the name of the desease but it is hereditary. It is rather prevalent in S/E WI. If buying a lab check it out. My Brother in law got it in two different pups from two different breeders.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Fork Horn

I had a Shepard/Collie mix that had seizures. He developed them at around 8 years of age. He was diagnosed with epilepsy and put on medication to help contol them. All the meds did was space the seizures farther apart. It was a sad sight to see but very common in quite a few different dog breeds.