Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Rat terriers, living with? >

Rat terriers, living with?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rat terriers, living with?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Rat terriers, living with?

I am really interested in getting a Rat terrier as a house dog. I was wondering if any of you guys had any "personal" experience with this breed. If so I would appreciate your opinions.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rat terriers, living with?

had one for about 8 years. he was pretty easy to housebreak and train. he did not like strangers and kids made him nervous. he never bit anyone, but he would growl and show his teeth plenty.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

My brother and his girlfriend both have one. They are different. I personally don't like them, but he loves em.

My suggestion is to go to youtube and type in Rat Terrier...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

When you say rat terrier, I assume you mean the black and tan ones. The white ones are considered Manchester terriers, and they are a little different than the B&T.
ORIGINAL: Changeling

I am really interested in getting a Rat terrier as a house dog. I was wondering if any of you guys had any "personal" experience with this breed. If so I would appreciate your opinions.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

My brother and his gf have rat terriers... his gf's dog is a boston rat terrier... i think its cooler
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had one that I had to give to a friend for the welfare of both myself and the dog. Hyper, nervous, and an endless shedder of hair. No amount of brushing was enough to keep this dog from leaving hair wherever he went. My friend still has him and would'nt take anything for him.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have a rat terrier that lives in the house and he is about as calm as you could ask for and has never met a stranger. He likes everyone. He was easy to house train and sets on command and he's only 8 months old. I had one a couple years ago that was hyper, chewed on everything, and you couldn't teach him anything. I had to give him away to keep from killing him. The one I have is ared and white onebut they come in alot of different colors. If your going to get one make sure you ask alot of questions about there parents and try to stay away from the hyper and the super nervous ones. Good breeders won't breed these type dogs but the puppy mills will breed anything to make a buck. If you can go check out the parents before you buy a pup from them.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM

Jacob, that sounds like sound advice. Anything to hyper would drive me nuts, thats why I I wasn't considering a "Jack Russel terrier" from what I hear (no actual knowledge) they are the epitome of hyper.

Thanks to all, getting a dog is a really big decision so I want to be sure for the dog's sake and mine.

Changeling
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 AM

i have 2 jackrussels a old femal 16yrs old had her since she was a pup and i 1yr old that i got from a litter last nov i had 3 bread 2 had 7 pups got rid of all but these 2 one is hyper not spastic just loves to lick you in the face the other you have to put a stick of dynomite under her to get her up to eat. grew up with fox terriors and rat terriors love these dogs to death but if you want a loving dog thats just all around perfect for a pet get a small beagle. there just easy going and love affection