Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Winter training for new pup? >

Winter training for new pup?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Winter training for new pup?

Old 04-07-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Winter training for new pup?

The problem up here is that we still have 3 feet of snow and 44 inches of ice covering our lakes. I want to get and early start on my 2 months old pup. Is there a way to get him to love the water before everything thaws out? Or I don' t have to worry and wait for open lakes in a month? Any advice would be great.
Regards, Space.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 AM

Default RE: Winter training for new pup?

Space,

In my opinion, at 2 months old you may do more harm than good trying to get your pup swimming. I started my Lab at about 6 months. I wore my hippers and tried to coax her in. It helped me that my older Lab loves water. Finally, the pup came in after seeing how much fun we were having. Also, remember that a dog does not know how to swim by natural instinct. You will need to get in with the pup and offer help. My pup was trying to swim vertically, so I gently supported her hind section until she got the hint. It took a couple of trips, but she learned very well. Either way, good luck and remember to keep it fun for you AND the pup.