Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab training

Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lab training

Im planning to purchase a new lab next year. I'd be interested in any good books/DVDs you experienced guys could recommend. Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: Lab training

My favorite is Retriever training for the Duck hunter by Milner. Easy to read, uses a detailed step by step approach that can be followed and always worked for all my dogs including pointers. At the very least it shows how to train for all the basic obedience things.

Go to Amazon and do a search there. Wolters is pretty good and has several books. There are a lot of them out there and I bought many of them. Some better than others but with each book you get some knowledge about how different trainers work. Each dog in my experience presents some challenges that might require a different approach so the more ideas you have the more likely you might figure out which one will work.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM

Find amodern day training program and followit. MikeLardy's program info can be found at totalretriever.com. Subscribe to RetrieversOnline. Jackie Mertens sound beginnings etc. etc.Check out retrievertraining.net andsearch the forums. Plenty of good info from people who have been there before.

The previously mentioned resources although still relative in some ways are largely outdated. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

I highly recommend Evan Graham's smart works series of dvd's and books.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

I highly recommend Evan Graham's smart works series of dvd's and books.
I've got the Evan Grahm Smartwork series in book and DVD form. Very good program and easy to follow. I would deffinately recommend it
Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 PM

I am kinda interested in finding information about shed hunting dogs & i have herd labs are the breed tat is used. so if anybody has any advice ?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MIKipper

I am kinda interested in finding information about shed hunting dogs & i have herd labs are the breed tat is used. so if anybody has any advice ?
Try antlerdogs.com.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: wetpwdr53

Im planning to purchase a new lab next year. I'd be interested in any good books/DVDs you experienced guys could recommend. Thanks
stay with dvds,forget books.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Spike

I have The 10-minute Retriever by Amy Dahl. Great book. Starts from bringing home pup to force fetch to handling. They have a second book out which I have but cant remember the name at this point in time!!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dtabor

I have The 10-minute Retriever by Amy Dahl. Great book. Starts from bringing home pup to force fetch to handling. They have a second book out which I have but cant remember the name at this point in time!!
i have it too but i think MOST can learn better off a tape or disk.at least that is what ifeel, i can learn much better with someone talking and showing pictures of dog responding .

i have about 6 tapes, 1 is CALLED WATERDOG.UPLAND DOG, BIRD DOG