Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 one dog for upland game? >

one dog for upland game?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

one dog for upland game?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: one dog for upland game?

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: Derag2

I also thought about Vizsla but the only breeder ive found for them wants 600bucks a pup. I can get German shorthairs and labs from 300 and under.
You couldn't give me a $300 Lab. For that money, you can be sure that the parents have no genetic clearances at all.
The initial price you pay for a pup is the least of your expenses.
At the end of 12 years, a $800 pup only costs 1-1/2 cents a day more than the $200 pup ----------- andif you run into genetic issues, you will spend many thousands more on the cheap dog.

you are right.

almost ALL the cheap dogs without good backgrounds end up at vets for hip problems.

my neighborhood is FULL of them.

hip operations will run you 1,000/2000 and dog is DONE hunting.

HEALTH and SIZE of lab is what i look for,i want chance of healhty dog and i feel smaller long legged ones are better on hips and seem to hunt in places the larger ones will not go.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:50 AM
JW
Super Moderator

If you are looking for a versatile pointing dog check out NAVHDA.org - any questions PM me. I may know a breeder in your area.

Now I see mostly GPSs as being the number choice of people. I run GWPs as I like a longer type coat and quite frankly like the looks of this breed better than any other.

Or you might look at a Small Munsterlander

NAVHDA can help you find a breeder in your area. And do check out any NAVHDA chapter in your area. The chapterr is the grass root of the organization that is there to help you train your own pointing dog. I woulsd suggest looking at some of these breeds and then pick what suits you and your family best.

Now for my breed of choice I have runmy GWPson bobwhite, pheasant, chuckar, grouse, woodcock, and hunted ducks and geese.
I like the feature of a pointing dog while I run the deeps woods looking for small potholes to jump ducks.

And Doc is correct - cheap is not the answer. Stay away from the back yard breeder.
Do check lineage,
Ask if the dogs eyes and hips have been certified. People who care about the breed do this commonly.
Ask if the pup should be come ill what the breeder stands behind.
Take a good look at the parents and then if you can go see the litter and watch how they all react with each other.

JW
Old 11-18-2008, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I aint paying 800 bucks for a dog. we bought a purebreed lab for 200 bucks and shes had no problems what so ever. I can't afford to lay down 800 bucks just for the dog.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Boykin Spaniel!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM

You couldn't give me a $300 Lab. For that money, you can be sure that the parents have no genetic clearances at all.
The initial price you pay for a pup is the least of your expenses.
At the end of 12 years, a $800 pup only costs 1-1/2 cents a day more than the $200 pup ----------- andif you run into genetic issues, you will spend many thousands more on the cheap dog.
So you are saying that the $800 pup with perfect parents will never develop cancer or is guaranteed to not have bad hips, eyes, etc. later on in its life?

And the $300 dog that can't even be given away is going to develop all of these?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Derag2

I aint paying 800 bucks for a dog. we bought a purebreed lab for 200 bucks and shes had no problems what so ever. I can't afford to lay down 800 bucks just for the dog.
There's a huge difference between being smart and being lucky.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

So you are saying that the $800 pup with perfect parents will never develop cancer or is guaranteed to not have bad hips, eyes, etc. later on in its life?

And the $300 dog that can't even be given away is going to develop all of these?
It all comes down to odds. Let's just take Dysplastic hips as one example. If two OFA Excellent dogs are bred, the odds are 3.5% that a dysplastic pup will be produced. If you breed two OFA dysplastic dogs, the odds go up to 26%.
There are no genetic tests for cancer.
It is currently estimated that 40% of ALL Labs are carriers of the EIC mutation. If you breed two EIC carriers, then 50% of the pups will be EIC affected !

As I said above, there's a huge difference between being smart and being lucky.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM

It all comes down to odds. Let's just take Dysplastic hips as one example. If two OFA Excellent dogs are bred, the odds are 3.5% that a dysplastic pup will be produced. If you breed two OFA dysplastic dogs, the odds go up to 26%.
There are no genetic tests for cancer.
It is currently estimated that 40% of ALL Labs are carriers of the EIC mutation. If you breed two EIC carriers, then 50% of the pups will be EIC affected !

As I said above, there's a huge difference between being smart and being lucky.
Who is to say that that the $300 dogs aren't OFA excellent in their hips?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Love my German Shorthair Pointer.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

Who is to say that that the $300 dogs aren't OFA excellent in their hips?
Only OFA can say. (and how about the other tests that I mentioned)
Is this really that difficult for you to understand?

Quick Reply: one dog for upland game?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.