Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog Vocabulary

Old 03-12-2003, 06:33 AM

Default Dog Vocabulary

Just thought it might be fun to share some of our dogs learned commands. Not necessarily the textbook ones, but the ones you and you dog just kinda learned together......without entending to. Or maybe some that you have found useful but are not in the books.

My dog knows sit, here, place, over, fetch, NO, whistle here, and whistle sit. I can say " good boy" and his tail wags so I know he knows and likes those works. My daughter was picking at her brother the other day so finally I told her to go into the house. I turned around and my dog was gone. I found him in his house waiting patiently for me call him out. Was not until then I realized how many other commands he has learned unintentionally.

What kind of vocabulary have you and your dog taught each other? I bet there are some pretty funny ones.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:25 PM

Default RE: Dog Vocabulary

I made a mistake once by teaching my female black lab to obey the word " okay" .
That' s a word I use a lot, and if she was poised to do something and the word " okay" accurred in the conversation she was off! I had to keep a constant eye on her, and mind my words (that was a pain).
One day the family was having a barbeque. I didn' t realize it but the dog was ready to grab my daughter' s hamburger. My wife asked me to do something and I said " okay" and before anyone could do anything, the dog politely reached over to my 6 yr. old daughter and took her burger, and walked away with it.
My daughter wanted to kill her. I got a real " eye scolding" from my wife. And nothing happened to the dog because she was told it was okay to grab that hamburger.
That dog passed away quite a long time ago, and when I replaced her I knew what not to do!
critch