Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

training collar

Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default training collar

I need a training collar for the fiance's great dane/ shepherd mix. I have a tri-tronics for my bird dog and love it but she doesn't want to spend a lot since it's only for around the yard. I have been looking at the sportdog fieldtrainer 400s collars, but am kind of reluctant since I don't know anybody that has ever used the sportdog collars. So to make a short story long, have any of you guys had good luck with the sportdogs? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: training collar

I've got the sportdog 400 waterfowl model and i'm very pleased... Good range, lasts about a day on a full charge. easy to use...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

SD2000 , Works Great. Had toSent back remote once. Just stopped working... Had a new one sent to me in about 4 days.

If you don't mind me asking... What is she going to do with an E-collar on a Great Dane? Sounds like that could be a bad combo.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM

If you have one already, why do you need another one? some basic obedience and problem solving should take that long. Just don't shock the dog around people to correct a barking or jumping on them problem. it will lead to bad results.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

My lab and the Dane have ventured off a couple times and I just need to remind them of the boundaries. I'm probably only going to have to use it once or twice and they will learn but I'd hate to have them get hit by a car. And I can't get in to get the lab cut for a while so if a neighbor dog (and everybody within about a mile has hounds) comes in to heat he goes and she follows.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jessejmc1979

My lab and the Dane have ventured off a couple times and I just need to remind them of the boundaries. I'm probably only going to have to use it once or twice and they will learn but I'd hate to have them get hit by a car. And I can't get in to get the lab cut for a while so if a neighbor dog (and everybody within about a mile has hounds) comes in to heat he goes and she follows.
Teaching him the boundaries (with or without an ecollar)isn't going to do diddly squat when there is a female in heat within two miles

A dog needs to either be under total supervision -- or confined at all times ! !

Old 05-03-2008, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc E

ORIGINAL: jessejmc1979

Teaching him the boundaries (with or without an ecollar)isn't going to do diddly squat when there is a female in heat within two miles

A dog needs to either be under total supervision -- or confined at all times ! !

Had a friend that worked for the sheriffs dept.a long time ago that had a german shepard, ex-K9 dog, talk about robots... Anyway, that dog chewed about a 12" x 16" hole in the bottom of my buddys door one night trying to get at a female in heat. He got out of the house, made light work out of a 6' fence, heck the dog was trained to jump/climb obstacles, and was hit by a car... Broke both back legs, dog had to be retired from service, and a couple grand in surgeries...

Training cant compete with momma natures instincts.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

A lot of training has to go hand and hand with using an e-collar. You have to collar condition the dog or he won't understand what the hell he is being shocked for and therfore your lesson will go unlearned and you will just have a pissed off or broken spirited dog. Please do some research on training with an e-collar before you put it on any dog.

Good Luck