Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Compulsive lab

Old 03-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default Compulsive lab

My wife started voluntering at the local humane society last summer, a yellow lab was brought back by some people because the dog didn't get along with their pit bulls and they kept it tied up for 8-10 hrs a day and it ran when it was let loose. He is about 2yrs old and is a great dog and listens to and obeys most commands. Last fall we took him pheasant hunting here in NW Wi, we are starting to get a good population of birds around here now and he hunted very well. We did shoot 2 birds and he did retrieve them. For not being hunted before I was really impressed. The problem I have with him is around the house, he likes to fetch tennis balls or any kind of toy but if you grab the leash or open the door to go inside he won't come to you and if you move towards him he will bolt. I bought a Sportdog training collar this weekend to use for next hunting season so I have this tool to use. What should I do to help cure this problem, any help is welcome.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Compulsive lab

You dont chase him number 1.
EVER.

If he squirts loose around you, dont use a recall, like Here or come, if you know he is going to ignore it and your going to have to catch him anyway. When you catch him, dont beat him, or youll never catch him again, he will see sure to that.

Start from the beginning, in the house call him to you and give a little food treat. Do this at random mixing in verbal praise in place of food treats. Once its apparent the dog understands the recall command, snap a check cord on him and go outside. Let him take some line out and give a recall, if he doesnt IMMEDIATELY come running to you, tug him in with the cord. Praise.

The dog needs to want to be around you, but too he needs to know what can happen if he ignores your commands.

After you have collar conditioned this dog, replace the cc with the ecollar, give a recall and if he doesnt IMMEDIATELY come running to you, give a tiny nick. That should get his attention, and he should come to you.

Pretty soon he will not want to hesistate the command, he will come to you or get the correction.

Its important you dont put the collar on the dog the for the first time and give a command, which is ignored, and light him up. Make sure the dog understands the meaning of "recall". Make sure you condition him, where he knows what the zap of the collar means.

Good Luck.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 AM
Spike

I've kept calm during this because I know he most likly wasn't trained enough when he was young. When he bolts I just let him go and wait for him to calm down. He dosen't leave the yard so I just wait awhile and then he will want to come in. I'll get a long cord and try that untill he comes on command and then try the ecollar. I thought I better not use the ecollar right away until he comes when called.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

It's sounds like he doesn't want the fun to end. My dog does that too when trying to get her into the car. I just leash her when still at the park then walk her to the car.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 AM

Maybe try this:

Playing fetch outside, time to come in, dog doesnt want to... You go to open doorway and present a food treat, like a hot dog or something good. Call his name or your recall, "here", its a trade off, good times for food. Dogs will usually take the food. He will prolly spit the ball out and come at you like a crazy man, back yourself inside the house while is coming, then give him the hot dog and close the door. Pretty soon he will be watching you to see when you go inside, and wonder if you have a hot dog or something good...