Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please >

And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

I was watching National Geographic Channel last night they hada show called "Dog Genius". Part of the show dealt with Bloodhounds. According to the show Bloodhoundssense of smell is10X more sensitive than the average dog. They showed a Bloodhound tracking a person in a moving car. Amazing.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

I saw that, but like any breed i think you will find some that have colder noses than others. A black and tan is a close relative of a bloodhound (you can see the similarities) and i have seen other hounds with reallycold noses. I wonder if they meant 10x more sensitive than other hounds or just other dogs in general? There is a BIG difference there.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In general. There will always be isolated cases. Blood hounds have amazing noses.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 AM

My bloodhounds nose never leaves the ground. It is very cool watching him work. You can even hear him breathing real short quick breaths picking up a scent.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always wondered why a Bloodhound would not make a great bird dog.
I asked a trainer once and he said because the nose of a Bloodhound is too good.

They will actually pick up scent that was made days ago where other dogs could not.
Makes sense to me...

Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

My bloodhounds nose never leaves the ground. It is very cool watching him work. You can even hear him breathing real short quick breaths picking up a scent.
My blueticks and one of my walkers is like that, their noses aren't off the ground unless they have a deer jumped. My walker will stick his nose in the track and inhale, then exhale blowing sand out of the track. It's on then..
Old 03-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Trailing human scent in a vehicle? Under what circumstances? Was the vehicle entirely closed?

Ive seen German Shepherds, Labs, and other hounds (Redbones, BlueTicks, Walkers and Plotts)that can run with any Bloodhound Ive worked with. Not to say they are crap, but they are not the end all be all. Ive spent YEARS working with Search & Rescue teams and have seen some good hounds and heard some real fish stories too.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MIHunter77

Trailing human scent in a vehicle? Under what circumstances? Was the vehicle entirely closed?

Ive seen German Shepherds, Labs, and other hounds (Redbones, BlueTicks, Walkers and Plotts)that can run with any Bloodhound Ive worked with. Not to say they are crap, but they are not the end all be all. Ive spent YEARS working with Search & Rescue teams and have seen some good hounds and heard some real fish stories too.
It was on Mythbusters, it was a special dog episode.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Bloodhounds have great noses for tracking. But there are many breeds of dogs out there that for the average hunter will do a fine job of tracking exspecially for tracking wounded game.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 PM

my jag'd terrier does great at it !!!!

Quick Reply: And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.