HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/235710-best-tracking-dog-envelope-please.html)

losthwy 03-04-2008 06:30 AM

And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

I was watching National Geographic Channel last night they hada show called "Dog Genius". Part of the show dealt with Bloodhounds. According to the show Bloodhoundssense of smell is10X more sensitive than the average dog. They showed a Bloodhound tracking a person in a moving car. Amazing.

bryant1 03-04-2008 06:41 AM

RE: And the Best Tracking Dog- The envelope please

I saw that, but like any breed i think you will find some that have colder noses than others. A black and tan is a close relative of a bloodhound (you can see the similarities) and i have seen other hounds with reallycold noses. I wonder if they meant 10x more sensitive than other hounds or just other dogs in general? There is a BIG difference there.

SwampCollie 03-04-2008 12:31 PM

In general. There will always be isolated cases. Blood hounds have amazing noses.

inhuntr 03-05-2008 09:08 AM

My bloodhounds nose never leaves the ground. It is very cool watching him work. You can even hear him breathing real short quick breaths picking up a scent.

Jimmy S 03-06-2008 10:15 AM

I always wondered why a Bloodhound would not make a great bird dog.
I asked a trainer once and he said because the nose of a Bloodhound is too good.

They will actually pick up scent that was made days ago where other dogs could not.
Makes sense to me...

bryant1 03-06-2008 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: inhuntr

My bloodhounds nose never leaves the ground. It is very cool watching him work. You can even hear him breathing real short quick breaths picking up a scent.
My blueticks and one of my walkers is like that, their noses aren't off the ground unless they have a deer jumped. My walker will stick his nose in the track and inhale, then exhale blowing sand out of the track. It's on then..

MIHunter77 03-06-2008 05:36 PM

Trailing human scent in a vehicle? Under what circumstances? Was the vehicle entirely closed?

Ive seen German Shepherds, Labs, and other hounds (Redbones, BlueTicks, Walkers and Plotts)that can run with any Bloodhound Ive worked with. Not to say they are crap, but they are not the end all be all. Ive spent YEARS working with Search & Rescue teams and have seen some good hounds and heard some real fish stories too.

bryant1 03-07-2008 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: MIHunter77

Trailing human scent in a vehicle? Under what circumstances? Was the vehicle entirely closed?

Ive seen German Shepherds, Labs, and other hounds (Redbones, BlueTicks, Walkers and Plotts)that can run with any Bloodhound Ive worked with. Not to say they are crap, but they are not the end all be all. Ive spent YEARS working with Search & Rescue teams and have seen some good hounds and heard some real fish stories too.
It was on Mythbusters, it was a special dog episode.

wildlands 03-08-2008 10:51 AM

Bloodhounds have great noses for tracking. But there are many breeds of dogs out there that for the average hunter will do a fine job of tracking exspecially for tracking wounded game.

little b 03-13-2008 03:22 PM

my jag'd terrier does great at it !!!!:eek: