Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 what are beagles good for? >

what are beagles good for?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

what are beagles good for?

Old 02-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Default what are beagles good for?

i am getting a almost purebread beagle. i want to use it for hunting. are beagles hard to train? and what are they good to hunt with?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Default RE: what are beagles good for?

Hmm, if you even have to ask what they are good for, Im not sure you should be getting one..... [&:]

Is this a serious question?

If it is, how could you possibly be thinking about getting a beagle when you dont know what they are for?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

RABBITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Inactive

And if it is legal in your State they will also run deer.

But then that's another whole can of worms !!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are good for winning dog shows apparently.

Beagles are hounds, and hounds chase just like goldens retreive and setters point. Its instinct. They make fantastic rabbit dogs, and are my personal choice in a deer dog as I am not a fan of long legged dogs for deer hunting, espeically as of late, but that is southern politics.

They are incredibly stubborn (most of them) to train. Which is why they make good chase dogs. All you need to do is teach them to come to your call when you want them to come to you, at least thats a start. Much more to it than that.

Best advice I can say is give it a try. As a pet they are cute, and often very very sweet, but they are very hard headed.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

sorry i misposted this thread.............What are Beagles good for BESIDES rabbits? because we dont have too many rabbits around. i have a beagle now that is chocalate lab and beagle (very ugly dog feel bad for the thing) and it has treed numerous coons
Old 02-15-2008, 02:19 PM

here is a picture of the one i have now. we let the dog in our mudroom because she was trying to get our old dogs food and the old dog doesnt care but she has to eat so we let her in. the cat was lying in the thing and penny lied right on top or her. the cat looks PO'ed

Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha... yeah the cat does look P.O'd.... but Penny is giving Kitty a look like...... "So... the f- you gonna do about it?"

Beagles, aside from bunnys can, do and will run coons and foxes.

I suspect they would pre-wash dishes too.... probably wouldn't have to force'em to either....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

We always had a couple beagles growing up my whole life... they literally put thousands of rabbits in our deep freeze. It's the way Dad introduced me to the outdoors, and listening to a beagle start bawling on a frosty Saturday morning will always have a special place in my heart.

They make wonderful family pets as well. We've got a black lab crossed with a beagle currently that we've had for about eight years now... looks just like a half- to 3/4-sized black lab. Awesome family pet.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:08 PM

yeah we had a stray beagle at our house. i loved it but it ran away[&o]

Quick Reply: what are beagles good for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.