Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Griff vs. DD

Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Griff vs. DD

I'm down to two breeds in my dog search, the DD or the Griff. Does anyone have any cons with either breed or know of any major differences between the two? The only major difference I've found is that the Griff is fairly rare and may offer less to choose from as far as litters are concerned. I'm a firm believer that breed characteristics only go so far and that dogs are a product of their owner. For that reason I think researching litters of both will be my best bet. Any thoughts or input?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:17 PM

Default RE: Griff vs. DD

Not a huge difference between the two dogs, both are very versitile.

Drathaar's have more "credentials" breeder wise. More recognition, more clubs, more everything simply because they are more common than, I assume you mean, a wirehair pointing Griffon..

They both point, retrieve, track, good with familys', etc. Appearence is comparable between the two.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

From a macro perspective, I think it would be tough to find two versatile dogs so different. Each dog is different, but in general you will find:

A DD will hunt harder than a Griff. He will be stronger on fur. He will NEVER quit. He will be more hard headed. He will be able to take more pressure while training. He will test you more.

A Griff will be a softer dog. He will be easier to break, but also ruin. They tend to be more comical and use that to manipulate. They will be better with children.

If you are a person that doesn't like to put a lot of pressure on your dog, I would take a serious look at a Griffon. If you are looking for the hunting dog that will do almost everything, go with a DD. I say almost, because only the Pudelpointer does everything :-D

From a popularity contest, I don't believe either one of them is more or less popular than the other. Both are popular dogs. Depending on where you live, you may see one type more than the other. Here in Quebec, there are by far more Griffons than DD's. I think you would find the same to be true in WI.

I used to believe the same as you as far as dogs being a product of the owner, and I still do to some extent. However, with a well bred dog, you will not need to work as hard to achieve your goals. Genetics are very important in getting a good dog. Pointing instincts, Running style, Backing instincts and others are all genetic traits that can help you get kickstarted with a great dog.

If you want to talk to one of the best Griffon breeders in North America, call Steve Brodeur at 819/858-2042. I think he has two litters on the ground right now.

The true value of the DD, in my opinion, is the level of consistency among the breeders. I think if you do choose to go with a DD, you can check out the breeders on the VDD-GNA website or the VDD-Group Canada website. Whichever breeder you find will give you a very good dog.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:12 PM

mustad,
thanks for the insight. i don't think the time is right for me to get a puppy, but for future reference where is Steve Brodeur located?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Steve is in Quebec, Canada.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot of people in WI that know him well. Here are the websites for the four NAVHDA chapters in WI (I don't know where you are located):

Wisconsin (West Bend) - www.kmnavhda.com Area code - 414
Wisconsin (WI Rapids) - www.ncwnavhda.com Area code - 715
Wisconsin (East Shore of Lake Michigan) - www.winavhda.com Area code - 920
Wisconsin (Madison) - www.wrcnavhda.com Area code - 608

Hopefully one of these will be close to you. It should be a good source of info on the Griffon.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 AM

thanks again. i'm near madison, but have a good friend in the west bend chapter who i've also been talking with. i'm trying to schedule an opportunity to attend one of their events.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 AM

by the way mustad, the pudelpointer was a breed that i concidered for a short time. what do you see that they have over a DD?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

I see very little difference between a PP and a DD aside from appearance. I like the look of a PP better.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:39 PM

it seams like they are nowhere near as popular. any idea why?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing other than pure speculation, no. Both are great breeds, as is the Griffon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.