Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help me out with my lab

Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Spike

Default Help me out with my lab

I have a 14-15 month old choc. lab. All I want for him to be able to do is when I shoot go get the bird, like a dove. I care nothing about him being like a JH or MH. Just sit beside me and when I shoot go get the d*** thing. He goes nuts when we go out in the woods, he loves it. I just want him to put 2-n-2 together relating when I get a gun outside, he knows what we're about to do.

How old is to old for you to start training them? I know I'm probably behind on everything.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me out with my lab

Get on a good sequential training program and follow it page by page / chapter by chapter.
It's certainly not too late.............If you do it right.

What do you think that a JH or MH dog will do that a good hunting dog doesn't need to do?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM

All the JH and MH represent are a title, that the dog earned by successfully negotiating real live hunting situations with their training... Doesnt mean you have to try to title your dog, but they are doing the same jobs.

Get a good DVD series, I like smartwork series by Evan Graham. Look into joining a Hunting retriever club in your area, they can help you immensely.

take it slow. Dont rush into it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

EODLT pretty much said it, My lab 7 Months old is ready or was when I left 2 months ago ( and my daughter has been helping since). and I have a couple hunts set up. a Pheasant and duck hunt to see how he does, and where I need to go with him on training. But you have to or need to start with dissapline, will your dog sit, stay, and do all that and not break until you give whatever command you use? then apply that with the retrieving and gun fire, the dog will catch on but it will take dedicated time on your part. There are a couple book byRichard Wolters that can help you. I used his book the water dog.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: EODLT

Look into joining a Hunting retriever club in your area, they can help you immensely.
I agree with this... These clubs will help you gladly, and it is nice to have other people to help thow long marks and stuff...
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM

water dog was popular because thats the only thing there was in that time period. It is outdated and there are better materials out there, I would suggest Evan G's Smartwork, or Mike Lardy's systems. Both are top notch trainers.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Spike

I bought the DVD by Richard Wolters "Gun Dog." It had some pretty good info. in it. My dog does pretty good with obedience, but I know some things need to be touched up. I'm just going to start back with the basics as if he was a pup.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Spike

I shot a couple doves this past week, and low and behold, my dog ate it. Don't know why, but he did.

I bought a checkcord, so I'd have more control of my lab "fetching," but it seems more trouble than it's worth. He always gets tangled up in it. On the video it shows working fetch as a puppy where you can still kind of control the pup since they arent fast enough to get away. My dog doesnt really go after it hard with the checkcord on.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM

If he's eating it, then thats bad. You need to correct this. Reteach "hold" use freshly killed birds if possible, if he attempts to eat, slap his snout with your hand or pinch his ear, ecollar correction, etc.

Him not going hard at the birds is you not correcting him for not doing that, you have to nick him if he doesnt get turned and going hard at the back pile. He will soon learn that he needs to try to beat your nick and he will speed up.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Like some of the others have said,,, get a proven training program and use it. You'll be glad you did, and so will your dog.
Here's a link to a lot of good training info :
http://www.carmodybuilders.com/retri...ng%20info.html