Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

is this true?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default is this true?

i dont think it is but people keep telling me if i want a good hunting dog that i cant make her a family dog. they said she may hunt but not as effetively. is there any truth behind this. i am suppose to get a beagle on sat and want to know what to look for.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:04 PM

Default RE: is this true?

not true. As long as you dont spoil her, there is a difference.

A dog that is with humans as much as possible will most likely be better behaved. As long as they can turn on the hunt and turn off the family pet, and vice versa. Most dogs can.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

The quality of your hunting dog is a result of three things in my humble opinion: (1) Their parents genes (this is where they learn to hunt from, its where they get their prey drive). (2) Birds! Birds! Birds! (This is what bring out what their parents have given them. (3) You ability to get them to want to share the hunt with you! (We don't teach them to hunt, we do teach them to work with us).

I personally believe that bonding with you dog makes you a better team when you hunt. I don't believe that making your dog a house dog will hurt their ability to hunt but will help you to bond with your dog. I have a Brittany who is just turning 6 this month and I don't think that anyone that has ever hunted with us has given her anything but high marks. Right now she's sleeping beside me on her bed. Want you dog to work there heart out for you? Then care about them and mean it!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 PM

In my opinion, I dont think that is true.A familydog can still be a huntingdog. Just train in well. I guessa beagle would be good for a family dog and for a hunting dog as well.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I definitely think this is not true. My dog is in the house anytime I am and we play with the tennis ball and just lay around but when I put that orange jacket on he knows he is going hunting and only wants to get out in the field.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

thanks guys. i thought it sounded bogus.ill be looking ata female beagletommorrow. and hopefully she will be coming home with me.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Laika that hunts squirrels and coons. She is very good. Last weekend, we killed 27 squirrels and 6 coons. She is a family pet, and this makes her much easier to handle than most hunting dogs. If you pen them up and take them out only to hunt, they go crazy with excitement (as any of us would). A good hunting dog will hunt hard, but will be much harder to control.

#1--make sure both parents hunt.
#2--get out there and get the dog lots of experience.
#3--use your head and be consistent with the dog, so he'll figure out what you expect from him.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I look at taking my dog out as "hunting with a friend", instead of just using her as a tool. Watching a good hunting dog work is one of the greatest joys a man can have---it's even better if that dog is your pet, too.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

bigangrychicken you are right on target! Amen
Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 PM

You can have a companion out of your pet 12 months a year. How long is hunting season?? I agree w/everyone else who says that a good hunting dog can also be a good pet first and foremost. I'm sure alot of this depends on the breed and disposition of the dog as well.

Quick Reply: is this true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.