Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Pointing Labs

Old 12-28-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Pointing Labs

Looking for some input on pointing labs maybe looking to purchase one. I love to pheasant hunt and a little duck hunting.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Pointing Labs

Several may disagree but I guess I'm just an old fashionpointin' dog guy. To me these double duty dogs end up being not very good pointers, or retrievers. I think you are better off going with one dog type or the other. I've seen plenty of pointing dogs that will retrieve upland birds very well.

This week-end we were quail hunting along a river. We were hunting a pointer and two GSP. We knocked a bird down in the water and one of theGSP's swam out and got it. It's training and desire. IMO
Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 AM

thanks for the input. I am sure I will be getting a lab that is what my wife wants. I saw a lab point out in the CRP that we were hunting and ever sence that I fell in love. bottom line is finding the birds both before and after.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

My lab has some kelloge(spl)in his blood....Def not a pointer in the terms of a pointer but he does his job well,both upland and water.....
Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

IMO, for the most part; the notion of the pointing lab is nothing more than smoke and mirrors used by some lab breeders to sell some pups. Marketing hype. I say for the most part because I've spoken to some lab breeders that make some pretty hefty claims regarding their dogs and I haven't verified it.

My brother is in the process is getting a dog from Sauk River Retreivers... http://www.saukriverlabs.com/

We'll see how it comes out.

Personally, I could never live with a labs anyways, pointing or flushing; so I just couldn't see myself getting on the bandwagon. I'll wait for the Elhew English Flushers to come out.

Good luck

Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM

mustad

Keep me posted on how your bothers dog turns out.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eelriver

Several may disagree but I guess I'm just an old fashionpointin' dog guy. To me these double duty dogs end up being not very good pointers, or retrievers. I think you are better off going with one dog type or the other. I've seen plenty of pointing dogs that will retrieve upland birds very well.
I'm one of those who will disagree with you. My PL got his NAHRA Master Hunting Retriever at age 4. Last Fall, he competed in the Pointing Division of the WA State Gun Dog Challenge and came in 3rd in the state.

He's a hunting and retrieving maniac and he will point with the best.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a Pointing Lab that has it all.

NFC-AFC-CFC-CAFC-GMPR-MHR Jazztime Last Chance v Pekisko

Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 AM

doc are you a breeder? ever have any pups do you know were to find a good one?
Old 01-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here areacouple of Sams Down line.....

cork of scharbers.........champion + nat champion
tara of valhala.......fc.afc
image of peach.........kellog line
weikenlin jb benson.........(just says)many champions

Image and benson......sire and dam
cork and tara......sire and dam

and the list goes on but point being is his line has alot of FC/AFC in it.....and peach brought in the kelloge line......
and then I wounder why all he wants to do is retrieve .......Thats his life.....

Quick Reply: Pointing Labs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.